Tell them to get involved, or get out.

Yeah, thatll work.

Any new SM with existing Scouts has to deal with this: a new sheriff rolls in and upsets their apple cart with all these new ways and expectations. I agree with most advice that has been given; its no different than a new coach taking on a team that has established upper classmen starters. I think you need to first decide if these guys are salvageable (sounds like at least the one is). Then the SM needs to show them a little respect by bringing them on board, telling them how important their experience is to the troop and put them in positions of authority with the freedom to do the jobs and the adult support to help them along and learn what they need. Work to get them on board: you must get them to buy in. The WORST thing to do is exactly what has been done: pushing them aside and working around them. Better off just telling them to not come back than doing that. Give them some special perks that they may not even have earned, but do it anyway and itll pay back tenfold (if it doesnt, then they arent salvageable). Get an ASM they can relate to working with them on some cool high adventure trips or events. Show them you havent forgotten about them and do care how they are doing (attitude reflects leadership). Theyll need to eventually make their own choice about moving on or becoming the leaders that take the troop in a new direction. If all this gets you nowhere, then eventually a parents meeting needs to be called to address. Sometimes they do need to move on and a nudge from a new leader may make the parents finally realize it.

But ultimatums dont work and you cant cherry pick which Scouts you want to work with.

"Ya know I could be wrong about how this would go over. But these pins remind me of the webelos activity pins! Why on earth would that be an appealing idea for a bunch of older teens? "

Kinda like those little pins that varsity athletes wear to show what sports they play, eh? Or those silly medallions that they hand out at the olympics, those aren't much different than a PWD medal.

You got this backwards, the pin isn't the prize, the activity is the prize and the pin lets everyone know that you did something.