Fair 'nuff, packwife. I'm not real fond of the teasers; they need to re-learn some leadership skills a bit more in line with the Oath and Law too. I'll respond like SR540 in the spirit of the original question.

How bad of an offense does a scout have to commit to get suspended?

Yah, I guess da real answer is "bad enough that the adult leader doesn't want to deal with him for a while." No way to force volunteers to take responsibility for a boy they feel uncomfortable being responsible for. In most units it's somethin' like fightin', bullying, or a serious safety/Scout Law violation committed with malice. But it can also be catchin' a lot of crap from a kid and needin' to set an example, or just to catch a breather and figure out some other ways to manage a kid before he comes back out again.

Is it what the SM or ASM sees as bad or are there guidelines for offenses?

Your troop may have guidelines for offenses, but ultimately it's up to what the SM or ASM is comfortable being responsible for.

Is a scout allowed a few chances first or is it one screw up and SM thinks its bad and out he goes?

Others' experience may differ, but I don't see suspension as a multiple chances thing. Multiple chances means a behavior issue with a boy that just takes ongoing work and some old fashioned creativity. Potato peelin' is out these days, but some other "service learnin'" would be more appropriate.

Yah, I'd say suspension is mostly for doin' something pretty bad on the first offense, that can't be handled with multiple chances and lesser consequences.

What if the parents think it wasn't as bad and the SM thinks it was, does a parent have any say?

Always a place for supportive, respectful, and friendly comments, eh? Just don't do like some of da posters here and call the SM "nuts," "way over the top" or "ridiculous".

But if by "any say" you mean "any control over the decision", then nah. Parent doesn't have any say with the school principal, the football coach, or the police officer either. "You have to give your time to my kid, whether you like it or not" isn't reasonable, eh?

If you're supportive, though, they're much more likely to view it as a problem incident that can be forgiven, rather than a "problem kid/family" that might have other negative impacts in the future. If yeh really can't be supportive of your troop's leaders, though, then I agree with the other posters - you need to look for a new program and people you really can support.