Showing respect to kids -- how to teach kids to show respect

Ah, personal crusades!

Mine is men wearing hats indoors. In our Troop, I am the hat nazi, without any doubt. It obviously isn't an important manner any longer, but that doesn't matter to me. I have been calling Scout's name as they come in the door and pointing to their head for 8 years now. I'm starting to get through, but every new class of Scouts need the same reminder for about a year before it's habit.

The most difficult time I have with this is two ASMs who are folicly challenged, and refuse to set a good example. But I keep trying!

you'll never go wrong teaching manners and respect to youth. It will pay off. I am certain of this.

Mark

"The most difficult time I have with this is two ASMs who are folicly challenged, and refuse to set a good example. But I keep trying!"

I've never understood why men get so paranoid about going bald and then have the audacity to call women vain.

The hats-off indoors is largely a regional thing I think. I was raised in the chicago area where we learned hats of indoors. But I now live in a large farm community where I swear kids are born with ball caps on and wear them past their last breath. While vationing recently in the southwest folks in cowboy hats NEVER take them off (near as I can tell). I was told that it's the first thing you put on in the morning and the last thing that comes off at night (which I found odd since most I saw also wore t-shirts).

I guess what I am saying is be appropriate for where you are, kinda of "when in Rome" philosophy.

Sincerely (and with my hat off)

Bob White