Kids going solo - policy/guideline issues

But how does one serve as an adult in a scout unit if they do not know what the vision we have for kids is? ;)

Empowering boys to be leaders is the core of Scouting. - BSA Scoutmaster's Handbook

Yah, I figure to really understand the Scouting Program, one has to draw holistically from a number of sources, understandin' how da vision, and mission, and methods, and relationships, and trainin', and individuals' gifts and talents and such all fit together, eh? And each of us should never stop learnin'.(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Yes you are correct, that is what the Scoutmaster Handbook says.

But isn't that quote. from the first page of the Boy-Led Troop chapter? It is followed by the line "Scouts learn by doing, and what they do is lead their patrols and troop."

Doesn't it refer to how scoutmasters are to coach and mentor the boys to be able to lead activities rather than the adults telling them what to do?

It is not directly related to the purpose of scouting but rather to unit operation, specifically the Leadership Development Method and Patrol Method.

Keep in mind that the Methods are not the goal of scouting they are the tools we use to fulfill the Mission.

You have selected the correct resource, however the section that speaks to the purpose of Scouting comes two pages earlier.

BW

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Yah, I think we can safely say at this point that when jblake suggested that we have to empower these boys to be leaders (in reference to boys on the trail to Eagle), that he was thinkin' properly about Scouting, eh? ;)

B

Some football heh? Tell you what Beavah since this ahs nothing to do with the topic of the thread and you originated the thread I will give you the choice of having me respond here, or if you wish you can originate another thread on the actual topic. (if an actual topic can be distiled from the post that started this.) I will check back tomorrow to find out what you want to do. I think there is a conversation worth pursuing if you would like to try it.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)