SPL wants to run again for the job

I'm astonished. We are holding our troop elections in a few weeks. For background: we are a small troop, 10 Scouts, so only one patrol. We have few PORs filled: SPL (really the PL, but they like the sound of SPL), ASPL (more like a PL), Troop Guide (for the new guys), Quartermaster. Not ideal, but it is working for us right now.

In the past we've had great difficulty getting anyone to WANT to be SPL. Last week our SPL closed the meeting by announcing that we were having a special PLC meeting for this week and anyone interested in running for SPL needed to be there. Well, five guys showed up last night: our current SPL, another Life Scout (my son), and 3 1st Class Scouts. We've never had a minimum rank requirement for SPL because for the past few years the highest rank we had in the Troop among active Scouts or at least anyone interested in the job was 1st class.

SPL proceeded to explain the job, and then ran the PLC as if all those guys were actually a part of it already. Two of the guys are used to PLCs - my son and another older 1st class Scout are the current ASPL and Troop Guide - but the other 2 1st class Scouts have not been a part of it before. SPL asked the the guys to make final plans for the theme for the upcoming campout and meetings leading up to it. After those plans were made, he gave each of them a specific job to plan and do for the next couple of meetings.

After the guys had left, SPL mentioned to me that he may run again for the job. He's had the job for almost a year. In fact, now that I think about it, he was a 1st class Scout when he started. He just last week completed his BOR for Life. Yes, a very hard working Scout.

He said that he thought he was getting tired of being SPL, but now that he knows what he's doing it's much easier. He said he's learned finally how to delegate (a big problem we worked on through the year) and figures the more he depends on and expects from the other youth leaders, the more they will learn, so that the next transition in SPL will be smoother than the last. And so on, and so on.

Remarkable!

These kind of accomplishments/breakthroughs are possible only through the guidance and dedication of leaders such as yourself.

Congratulations.

I've been working on establishing the patrol method and have been coaching my scouts on taking charge and exhibiting leadership. We've had some good progress, but sounds like you hit the jackpot on this one!

WooHoo!

Great! It'll be fun if he wins to see him take it to the next level.

I'd add another thought for yeh, though.

If it worked OK, why not add all those First Class boys to the PLC? Even if they don't win the election, use 'em! They're ready, willing, and able. Make up titles if yeh need to, or keep it informal.

B

Beavah, we wouldn't need to make up titles for the 1st class boys to join the PLC. Because we're such a small troop, we have not yet begun to fill all the possible PORs listed for advancement from 1st class to Star and so on. SPL and I have already begun discussion about those guys and filling the positions of ASPL, Troop Guide, Quartermaster, etc. All of those 1st class Scouts will have a chance for leadership (POR) in some capacity. Until now, we've not used all the PORs because we were working hard to develop a boy-led Troop and concentrated only on those critical PORs. Now, we are at a place where more of the PORs can be implemented with training given and expectations of performance developed.