Well, I've been lurking around the edge of the campfire listening to all the interesting conversations, and I think it's time I stepped into the glow of the burning e-logs and introduced myself.

I'm a scouting alumnus who aged out in the (very) early 80's who hasn't had much to do with the movement since then. I'm an Eagle Scout and Brotherhood OA member who can't remember the admonition well enough to get into the restricted section of this forum.

I have a six year old son who recently joined Tiger Cubs. After trying one pack that recruited at his school and then deciding to switch we've settled in with a small pack in our neighborhood. I think there are about 20 boys registered based on what I saw at last week's pack meeting. At that meeting the Cubmaster indicated that they had committee slots that they were needing to fill, so this week I pulled her aside and told her I was willing to help out. "Wonderful" she said, "will you be the Chairman?" My response was something like, "er, uh, do you think, I mean I've never..." She proceded to promise me that she handles most of the duties of running the pack, and that I would mainly be doing record-keeping for advancement "and stuff". Record keeping I can handle (for my day job I have a CPA credential) but the "and stuff" part concerns me a bit. But since I had offered to help and that's what was really needed I agreed to at least try the role on for size.

Ultimately I'd like to get with a troop as an ASM or other capacity that gets me outdoors some, but for now I see the need to devote most of my energy in this area to making my son's experience with scouting at least as good as mine. So I'll be a Cub Scouter for a while and see how it goes. I;m sure I'll have questions and I'm looking forward to the support it is obvious this group regularly provides.

Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to the adventure.

DWS