Update from the accident at Camp Old Indian last week. All but 1 boy are out of the hospital and doing well. The one still in the hospital is improving. They haven't woken him yet, so he does not know about the amputation yet. Pray for him and his family.

Speaking with a friend of mine who works with one of the EMTs that arrived on the scene last Friday night, he said "My guy who was on the scene of the wreck said that ll of the boys who were able bodied were all doing everything they could to help. Holding oxygen tanks, IV bags, schleping equipment for the Medics, the whole nine. Said he was impressed, that he wasn't sure which able bodied were in the accident, and which werent, because if they didnt have visible active bleeding, they were working."

Those boys showed that they do pick up what we teach them, and they do know how to react in an emergency. Very proud of them!

I know nothing of an accident, but my heart (and prayers) go out to the scout families.

The "tragedies" I have heard about which involve scouts (either lost or hurt) all seem to tell the same story about scouts stepping up and keeping a confident head about them. This gives me, as a parent, great comfort sending my boys (and daughter) away on their outdoor adventures.

I think it is a benefit and I think the boys enjoy the drills even if we adults hope we never have to do them.

I remember my aged dog breaking her leg one holiday and my Webelos I scout running for the first aid kit and splinting supplies to package her up for the vet. He was cool as a cucumber while Mom was freaking out.