What makes a Great Scout Master????

I suppose greatness would require the right combination of outdoor skills, knowledge of BSA practices, processes and procedures (unfortunately), and a compassionate and patient temperament. That's a few things anyway.

From this Scouter's perspective: Someone with these qualities, willing to share them, with humility added.

From a parent's perspective: Someone with all these that treats me with respect

From a Scout's perspective: Someone with all these and a smile, someone with the ability to laugh with the guys and still maintain the role of leader.

There are probably a lot of interesting answers to your questions to come.

To me adult leadership in scouting is very much like parenting. You have to set up boundaries and rules. You have to be the heavy. You have to back off and let the lads ask questions without fear, fail and learn from teh failure, but keep them safe.

I think an adult leader must be approachable. That means different things to different people. If the scouts are afraid to ask for help or advice, he is not appoachable. At the same time, the SM must be able to draw the line and enforce rules. He earns respect by acting fairly and within the acknowledged rules.

Parents want to feel that the SM has the lads safety as priorty 1. Second is probably making advancement opportunites available.

As a peer I want the SM to exemplify the ultimate Scout. Lives by the 12 points of the law, the oath, motto, slogan, etc. Is technically compentent in the outdoors. Is willing and regularly delegates tasks. Is friendly and approachable. One who is conversant in G2SS and knows when the rules should be bent.

As a boy, my SM was married but childless. He was fair but stern. He held us to a high standard and expected us to strive towards meeting the standard. The SM in my current troop has two sons who have aged out of the program. He does not have to ignore or favor his sons. He has good outdoor skills but spends his time being a friend more than a skills instructor to the lads. He is quick to point out teaching moments when things go well as well as haywire.

In the troop I serve, the adults are held to the same rules and standards as the scouts with 2 exceptions. We get to use our phones and we set our own bedtime.