Taking the Troop shooting this weekend.

Really excited.... Put a plan in place to take our Troop to the local BSA camp this weekend for a Saturday of shooting during our weekend camp out.

We have 2 NRA certified Range Safety Officer/Rifle/Pistol instructors (I am one), plus 3 more Range Safety Officers within the Troop.

Our range has .22 rifles were gonna use. Most are sighted in pretty good, and the Scouts starting on the Rifle MB are going to learn to clean them before and after.

Also gonna offer the Winchester Light Rifle qualification to a handful of older Scouts who already have the Rifle badge.

I plan to have some fun targets too keeping with whats permitted targets for BSA.

I think we have 32 Scouts going this weekend! Might be the most-attended event this year.

Probably gonna break them into groups.... the most we can have shooting is 10 (only 10 lanes).

We just ran the 1st part of the NRA Pistol course for the Venturing Crew... we should finish that up before the end of the month.

My partner (the other RSO/NRA Pistol/Rifle Instructor) is completing the Shotgun instructor as well, so that will be another event we can offer.

I love those RSO volunteers!

Are you going to rotate in a lane or two of pistols for any boys who are also Venturers?

If you have binoculars, some of the boys could serve as spotters for each shooter.

My boys really enjoyed shooting sport evenings and weekends, not so much that they want to do it all the time. (Pity, because my oldest was a good shot.) But, it was great to get them the skill without my investing to heavily in equipment that would only get minimal use. Now that he's an adult, son #1 is investing in archery.

My daughter did not enjoy it so much, but her friends did.

Regardless, it's thanks to guys like you that my kids could have great experiences like these!

Shooting with the Boy Scouts is amazingly safe, but still watch out for stupid people. Safety is the most important thing here. I shoot competitively at the scholastic level and love it. Rifle shooting merit badge sort of steered me in that direction, and I think the scouts who don't do this kind of stuff will really enjoy it. Have fun!

I'm offering up a lane or 2 for the Winchester ProMarksman/Marksman for the older Scouts... but most are Venturing Scouts and have Staff day for camp, so they won't be able to shoot till after 4pm.

They are getting the NRA pistol course anyway which I just started for them this week.