2Cub,

Sorry I didn't see your post. let em explain.

I am very, very, VERY fortunate that our council operates 6 camps spread throught it's territory. Ok so 4 are located within 10 miles of each other inthe geographic center of the council (2 on one side of a river, 2 on the other, and the 4 camps form 2 scout reservations). But the other 2 camps are out towards the edges of the council to allow more folks to use council camps. One of them is in my district, and is 22 minutes away from my house in the nearest city.

The other council camp like mine also holds CSDC and is in a similar situation I am told.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boomerscout,

Don't know where you got your information about D-A being closed, but that is FAR from the truth. It will not hold a BS summer camp this summer but it will house several weeks of CS and WS summer camps, family camps and specialty camps. It will have Trail to Eagle, NYLT, Yucca Trail, and Ranch Hand and I believe that at least one of the WB classes is scheduled there too. Summer camps in GLC are being cut by a week at each Lost Lake and Cole Canoe Base. The rationale for cutting BS summer camp at D-A is only a handful of units had signed up for camp by a given date. Although every scout deserves/should go to summer camp staffing a camp for a handful of units is just not feasible. If memory serves there were 6-8 units and under 200 total people signed up for the originally scheduled weeks of BS camp.

D-A will also be open for units to summer weekend or do it yourself summer camp at. For the entire time I've been in Scouting (granted not long - 6 years) summer numbers at D-A for BS camp have fallen. With doing away with BS camp this year the camping department can focus on getting CS and their families to camp. Historically less than 5% of the CS in GLC (and old DAC and CVC) went to summer camp. Only a couple hundred out of the over 7,000 possible kids. Tap the future BS and hook them on camping. Or face the sale of a property or 2 at some time in the future like the GS in the area have faced.