Alcohol use at Pack events ??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE FROM ORIGINAL POSTER:

To answer some of the questions that have come up as to what happened.

There was prior alcohol use by this pack when I was there. At a scout campground. The ACM called his group of drinking friends the RED CUP CLUB, but bottles of wine, cocktail mixers were about. Drinking was primarily by a ACM, who later became CM for one year, and his close friends. About 7 months later there was a campout at a "Ranch" and there were open beers, wine bottles, ect around the campfire in the morning, left the from night before. This ACM - CM was up till midnight loud around the fire again with his friends. The current CM was there seeing it all over the last few years.

Yes, it was previously reported to the council, but unknown what resulted from it.

Yes, I have now reported it to my unit commissioner who said that he would report it to our council exec.

Once it gets reported again, I dont know what will occur from it.

The Charter (a church) is completely uninvolved. The COR is a signature person only, who previously said "Do whatever you want and I'll sign it".

Hence the reasons why a number of us transfered out of this pack to begin with.

Anybody know the words to this song by Toby Keith? "Red Solo Cup, I fill you up, let's have a party, lets have a party"

And this is why we have Professional Scouters who can enforce the rules. Because sometimes the adults don't do what they are suppose to do. CM and buddies drinking and the COR not stopping it. My guess is that "the publishers of the guidebooks" will drop the hammer on this outfit.

I think you handled it just right WestCoast, you did the right thing for those Cubs. I hope the church gets someone in the COR job that cares as much as you do before they loose their charter.

"It's a GUIDEBOOK."

"Yeh don't enforce a guidebook."

Huh? Really? What about Gays and Atheists... that seems to get pretty well enforced.

It's called selective enforcement...and is most predominately practiced to defend the good ole boys and crony clubs.

In addition to the local "professional" Scouts, I'd report it to the COR and the local authorities, since we cannot depend on the District to do anything about it...

Or like in this case vote with your feet and join another troop.

I hope we find out what happens in this case.

I think the OP said the COR is a hands off kinda guy, but I think if he knew this was going on he might get involved.

"The Gay and Atheist thing is not in the Guide to Safe Scouting, never was... "

Wow...I love how some fragment everything into compartments...

Every document written by BSA is a whole rule set (policy actually) that builds on or complements the others...I don't think you can fracture and compartmentalize to suit your particular needs...

So if policy A says no gays and B says no atheists and C says no alcohol. Then you enforce them all, regardless of what "book" then happen to be written in.

Obfuscation is not very Scoutlike.

If I thought I could make a difference, I'd join...but I already know that's an impossibility...(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

Every document written by BSA is a whole rule set (policy actually) that builds on or complements the others...

Nah, that's not even true for the government. It's certainly not true of the BSA.

The BSA is an association of local councils and individuals that share a common interest in providing opportunities for youth. Local councils are associations of chartered partners that have volunteered to run scouting programs and purchase BSA licenses and materials, and banded together to provide support to each other.

Yeh need to think of da BSA a lot more like IEEE in your profession, Engineer61. It's something that individuals and organizations joint to further a common purpose. The organization selects and recruits members who put out various materials of different sorts - educational materials, newsletters, "standards" documents and the like, it organizes conferences and events for its members, it may provide insurance or other resources. It does this stuff because doing such things advances the profession. In the same way, the BSA does similar things to support its members and advance Scouting in the U.S.

Does the IEEE police the ranks of engineers? Enforce policies? Not that I'm aware of. It puts out best practice guidelines and standards and educates its members, and relies on engineers to be professional, and on the companies that employ engineers to fire any bad eggs. Same with the BSA. Oh, to be sure, in truly nefarious cases the IEEE may I suppose revoke someone's membership, after they've been arrested for criminal malfeasance or somesuch. They might also drop the membership of someone who isn't really an engineer, and lied about the membership criteria on the application. Same with the BSA, for similar reasons where the organization's reputation is affected, or where someone who didn't meet the membership criteria.

Now, can the BSA enforce a no alcohol policy on its own property? Sure. Just like da IEEE can enforce a no-smoking policy in its headquarters building. But that's not quite da same thing.

Beavah

Yes, I have now reported it to my unit commissioner...

This seems like the right thing to do. The UC should be in a better position to figure out the right way forward, whether it's formal (e.g. the DE) or informal (the UC for the other unit).