Why we need more Sea Scout Ships

the things that have killed Sea Scouting around here, and I mean Northeast Pa, is the cost of the boat and upkeep, the licensing of the trailer and then the insurance of the trailer and the boat and where its to be stored.

We have a couple of rivers, but not a huge "aquatic" culture. I can see Sea Scouting on the coasts along the great lakes where one can use terms like maritime and not be looked at sideways. For the rest of us landlubbers, its a struggle. The Councils "ship" yes, singular, has been up and down so much its referred to as the SS Yoyo

Driving times reminded me of one of my fellow Sea Scouts and her parents who were on hte committee. They drove 2-3 hours one way to our meetings, which were twice a month. My ship met every other weekend on saturday, and we sailed for 3-4 hours, old age can't get me the exact length of the meetings, which we sailed, worked on plans, or crushed cans ( our fundraiser). Sometimes the crushed cans took over the entire meeting, especially after the yacht club that was our CO had a party.

EDITED: For those meetings that most of the time was spent crushing cans, we did a McDonald's run with some of the money to celebrate finishing, and the bulk of the money was for activities. So there were no complaints from us "Yutes."(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

Sea Scouting for me was everything Boy Scouting wasn't. It was fun, it had plenty of activity, and it was mostly youth run.

We are fortunate to have a "Sea Scout Base" on the Columbia River that has a number of slips for ships to moor their varied craft. I can tell you that we had extensive carpool networks to get to meetings, and it would typically take over an hour each way to get to them...and we STILL had fun.

That looks like fun:

Cruise with the Us Coast Guard!

Each year the US Coast Guard and Sea Scouts, BSA team up to offer the cruise opportunity of a lifetime - a week long cruise as a crew member aboard the tall ship USCG Barque Eagle. Sea Scouts selected will serve alongside USCG Cadets as they demonstrate and perfect their sailing cruise aboard this historic vessel.

http://www.joinseascouts.com/

I believe the Eagle was a prize of war, taken from Germany.