Is there a time when a Troop should dissolve?

For those reading this and not familiar with what I have asked recently, a little background.

I am fairly new to scouting with 2 boys just joining Troop, 1 boy as Webelo2 in Pack, and 1 that I haven't decided on Tiger in 1 year from now.

The Scoutmaster has asked if I would be his replacement. I am the only really active adult with children in the Troop. There is one adult on Committee that is somewhat active(I beleive he was past SM). There are only 8 boys in Troop, 5 of which are regular until sports are over then we usaully see 7(1 is not active). I love working with children, but I also understand that my Family comes first. I do not mind having to take role as SM if need be, but I do not wish to be the sole active adult seeking that 2 deep for every outing.

The current SM says he would hate to see the Troop go under, but I wonder at what expense to the boys. It is great to have choices for Troops that the boys can join.

My question is, when is it a good time if ever to dissolve a Troop and/or join another?

The reason I ask is I see other Troops with more boys and adults. It seems they have less problem getting 2 deep leadership. Their problems usually are getting boys to participate or transportation issues.

I like the small group,I realy like the SM and the parents of the boys, but I also feel that the boys are missing out on "Patrol" experience.

I am not going to make them change troops, they seem to enjoy it where they are. However, I do not think I can give the time required to run a Troop by myself. If I do not become SM then what will happen. I also wonder if I have the time or resources to build this Troop up, even with help.

Who should this be disscused with? The Committee Chair(past SM), current SM, past SM who is on Committee, one other Committee member, Other parents in the group, COR(Not sure if this is also the current CC since nobody has mentioned, I plan to ask who it is)?

Is there a time when a Troop should dissolve?

Yes.

When there aren't enough adults interested enough to work at doing what is needed.

This isn't the same thing as thinking that the Troop should be saved.

Most problems can be overcome as long as there are enough adults who are able to work together and will to roll up their sleeves and work.

It is a big help if the chartering organization is on board, but all too often even in successful Troops the CO doesn't know and sometimes doesn't care.

Membership that is recruiting and retaining members can at times seem like an up hill battle, but it is a battle that can be won.

It takes time and a little luck. But most of all it takes a few people who are willing to take the bull by the horns and who can work through the tough times and keep at it.

The Troop that I had been a Scout in fell on very bad times.

It's a long story, but the Troop Committee was made up of people who had been on the committee since just after WW II.

They bought the land and built the Scout HQ, they mastered the art of raising money.

The SM who came along while I was in Venturing took a young Lad who wasn't a Scout to an overnight Scout activity. He assaulted the Lad, was convicted and sent to prison.

I was very happy not doing very much as an Assistant Cub Scout Leader in the Pack that my church was connected with.

The Committee Chair came around my house and asked me to come back as Scout Leader.

I agreed, but I was Scout Leader of a Troop with no Scouts.

I went to the Scout HQ not knowing what to do and a couple of Lads one white and one black asked what was going on? I explained that this was a Scout Troop! They asked if it would be OK if they kicked a soccer-ball around. I said that it was.

That was on a Wednesday, they came back on Friday with two more Lads and all were happy to just kick a ball around.

After a couple of months of not doing very much but kick a ball around. The District five-a-side soccer competition was coming up. I said it was a shame that we couldn't enter because they weren't Scouts.

We won the competition and a Troop was born.

Eleven years later when the Troop got to having over ninety Scouts, it was becoming too big and we split it.

The committee kept on bringing the money.

I never had any more than six assistants.

I don't know what made them two Lads stop in that night.

One went on to be a great P/L the other guy quit after about a year and started running with a bad crowd doing drugs and stealing. His parents asked me to talk to him. I did and I thought I'd got through, sadly I hadn't. Last I heard he is doing a very long stretch in jail.

Maybe if you think that the Troop can be saved? You need to forget anything that has to do with dissolving it and roll your sleeves up and get to work.

You can make it work, you can recruit the adult help you need.

It all can be done.

It just needs someone to do it.

If there really isn't anyone willing to do the job? What's the point of having a Troop anyway?

Ea.

Sounds like your boys have already told you their opinion. I think this troop has a lot going for it.

You listed at least four adults who are on the roster. You may have more in your corner than you realize. (What about the former SMs' sons and other boys who graduated from the troop? Any of them ASM material?) Get a hold of a roster and get your COR and institutional head thinking about this.

You have one patrol. The boys are not missing out on the patrol experience. As long as the adults keep their distance and let them operate, they'll be fine. You don't want them to get so comfortable that they stop trying to recruit their friends, but being small has its advantages.

Large troops have a laundry list of problems. One of them is the huge demand on your time communicating with lots of adults when all you want to do is get a couple dozen boys to have fun in the same woods on the same weekend. An effective large troop knows how to get the most out of you, even if you're not SM. So I don't think you'll waste any more time here than in some other troop.

Make sure your CC has talked to every parent about the role they could play on the troop committee. If he has, then you can be fairly certain that you're "the guy."

Once you throw your hat in the ring, find your unit commissioner, tell him your concerns about your troop size and ask if there are similar troops with whom you and your boys could get together from time to time.

Oh, and thanks in advance for volunteering.

>>Who should this be disscused with? The Committee Chair(past SM), current SM, past SM who is on Committee, one other Committee member, Other parents in the group, COR(Not sure if this is also the current CC since nobody has mentioned, I plan to ask who it is)?

Hey guys thanks for the input. What jtswestark says is kind of what I was needing to know. I love the work but do not want to be doing this alone. I fully understand it takes several people to make things go right. I am actually trying to talk the SM into staying as SM but with less on his shoulders. He also heads up a shooting team, and I told him I would take up where he cannot. However, I still feel like there needs to be at least one other "active adult". I am working on a guy I met last year in Cubs but he will be another 2 years, his son just moved into WEBELOS. The other WEBELOS dads are a no go, they are burned out already. But your suggestions give me a good place to start. I never thought of recent scouts.

I was there too with a SM wanting to hang on for the glory, but it doesn't work. You need to take over or not do it. There will always be the undermining that "you aren't really the Scoutmaster" or "that's not how Mr. Scoutmaster does it..." .

Council and District staff will keep contacting the SM and you'll be out of the loop as to things you need to know about. I wouldn't do it that way if I could do it again.

He also heads up a shooting team, and I told him I would take up where he cannot.

Why not let him lead where his talents are? He can be an ASM and you could ask him to help counsel shooting sports MB's and maybe set up a few venues for your boys to attend and shoot some skeet or whatever.

Amplifying on what jts said: just a couple of ASMs like that and your boys will have an active schedule that will be the envy of your district.

One more hint with regard to sports. Try to set up events and overnights that are near where your 2 athletes have games. If they know you are trying to support them during the athletic season, they'll appreciate it in the off-season. Your boys might want to try and "host" a bonfire for their team once or twice after a home game.