Scout's troop did not do anything on Memorial Day.

I drank a toast to my cousin Mike, a Marine who was killed in 1968 in Cambodia while trying to rescue a fellow Marine during a mortar attack.

====

Racial bigotry is alive an well in most rural communities in this country.

There are plenty of organizations out there, overt and covert, and that continue that particular "cause". They do so by infiltrating other organizations and subverting them.

On the weekend before Memorial Day weekend, my troop helped the local veterans place flags on the CO parish's cemeteries. It was also on that weekend that the troop took a trip to Valley Forge to learn about what our country's first veterans experienced at the low point of our battle for independence. As is our long-standing (40+ years) custom, on Memorial Day itself we marched with the CO parish cub pack in the local town's parade.

We do what we usually do - join in with a lot of other Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts on Saturday to place flags at all 18,000 grave sites at Marietta National Cemetery. This is a big deal locally, with Sons of the American Revolution showing up in period uniforms for a flag ceremony, and a gun salute with black powder rifles. There are so many people out there that all the flags are placed in less than an hour - it is a pretty awesome thing to watch. Lots of Union soldiers buried in that cemetery.

We (Georgia) recognize both Memorial Day and Confederate Memorial Day (April 26, but recognized on a Monday) with State holidays. Confederate Memorial Day doesn't get much attention in my circles. I have relatives that fought and died for the Confederacy, so I pay a little more attention. I can't find any slave owners among my relatives - they were mostly shop owners.