Council Popcorn Sale Champ!

At our Cub Scout Roundtable last night, I was introduced to the father of the Cub Scout who sold the most popcorn in the Chief Seattle Council --- a total of about $4800!

As it happens, he is the Cubmaster for a pack for which I'm Commissioner. His son is a Bear.

We gave him a chance to talk about his son's sales methods, which were mostly door to door in nearby neighborhoods, accompanied by a parent. In addition to being Cubmaster, the family home schools their children and still they found the probably substantial time to take their son out selling popcorn.

The father did note that among the prizes was an all expense trip for the family to Disneyland, and he said that HE liked to go to Disneyland too, which perhaps made the time commitment worth while!

I may do an interview with the father and son and aim to have it published by the council or at least the district to show the methods used and the results obtained.

Meantime, I got an e-mail from my Pack Treasurer today saying she had received an $1100 check for our Pack popcorn sale. That pays the membership fees of 75% of our Cub Scouts and has extra revenue that we will begin spending by making signups for our February 5th Cub Scout Marble Tournament free for Scouts.

We ALMOST did not have a popcorn sale. I lacked volunteers to manage the popcorn sale until a "single" parent whose husband is in the Navy somewhere in Afghanistan agreed to chair the sale. We found her another parent to assist and she did a fine job as a first time Popcorn Kernel. If she hadn't volunteered when she did I was ready to drop the sale.

So good news from the front lines of the popcorn sale!