G2SS Cub Scouts and the Cold

I guess ----Open Discussion-Program is just as an approprite forum as Cub Scouts is.

Guide to Safe Scouting.

Yep, "seem" and "fairly clear" are the words of the day.

Just by title alone, I'd say it is a guide. Not an be all end all and absolute final say. Sure, I think most of the stuff in there basically fits the optimal range of safety and well being.

But let's look at the two page guide to age appropriate activities chart.

Notice that some things are okay with every age group because the line extends from Tiger Cubs all the way to Varsity and Venturers. Camping is a good one.

But you know, there are some Tiger Cubs and even Wolves and Bears who just don't do so good away from home, especially in a tent in the big ole spooky woods at night! "Hey there little red riding hood, you sure are looking good...."

Sorry, just popped inmy head! :)

But then you have Martial Arts ( defensive) . Not recommended at all for any Cub Scouts. But that's probably all: Just not "recomended". But not specifically banned.

Then you have BB gun and archery. No line, but clearly labeled as council or district only.

Then you have ATV's.

That activity is specifically banned except for Venturer and Varsity.

So ATV are not "not recommended" but flat out restricted.

But wait! You have a specific section devoted to Unauthorized and restricted activities which are:

"The following activities have been declared unauthorized and restricted by the Boy Scouts of America:"

So, no guessing on that one. No ifs ands or buts about it. But it doesn't list BB gun or say they are restricted to council or district. Unless you plan on hunting with the BB gun, in which case, hunting is banned.

So back to polar camping with Cub Scouts. Restricted, banned, or just not the most encouraged thing to do.

And speaking of polar, does BSA have a good definition of what constitutes polar or even "tcold" ?

I mean, When I lived in Block Island, RI (over 33 years ago) we'd play in the snow for months and had a blast. 4 foot of snow, and the plow would come by followed by a school bus.

In NC, let somebody see a snowflake hit the ground..and schools, colleges, daycares, and most buisnesses shut down and super markets sell out of bread, water and soup! I'm serious.

In south Texas, people wear jackets and coats when it drops to 60 degrees! LOL!

So, what is cold and by who's definition.

If you ban Polar Camping, scouts in Fargo may never ever go camping!

Basically, maybe what seems so "fairly clear"...isn't so much after all?

Our Council has a popular event called "Polar Cubs". This is an all-day activity where Cub Scouts are outside almost all day (from 9 AM to 3 PM, IIRC). I think there were two activities (a half hour each, IIRC) which were inside buildings. But other than that, they are out in the cold.

The Pack we were with last year was there on a balmy day, and I think the temperature was about 10 degrees. When our current pack was there, the temperature was about minus 10. Generally, the event is not cancelled because of weather. They definitely would not cancel it because of mere cold. I suspect if _driving_ conditions were bad, it might get cancelled.

So it probably varies from state to state. In other parts of the country, I suspect the National Guard would get called in if a bunch of Cub Scouts were out in below zero conditions. Around here, we just dress for the weather. Adults like me grumble about it, but the kids seem to love it.

As far as I know, the only medical issue was me, and that was an inner tube crash. :)

And tio muddy the waters, Camp Sommers which is part of the Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation of Patriots' Path Council is one of the National pilots for an ATV program, scouts can legally ride ATV's as part of this camps program.

The bans were put into place to control peoples stupidity. Let see, put a 12 year old on an ATV and see what happens. City boy is gonna kill himself. Country boy has ridden atv's since he could walk.

Cold is a relative thing. Alaskans may view cold as double digit negative temps -20 to them maybe cold. Florida anything below 32 is cold. 50 degree difference. I preach common sense and I cringe everytime someone talks about polar bear and what the requirement is.

Far as ATV's at a summer camp. It is safer for my scouts to ride them at a BSA summer camp as opposed to riding a parents ATV on a camp out. There are many kinds of ATV's, My personal one is a utility 4x4 model. Most parents who talk about ATV's have super high performance 100 mph type. 1200 cc costing 10k or more. ATV's are fine but I hope it is limited to scout camp owned units.

The BSA Age-Appropriate Guidelines are not hard, and fast rules, and are not meant to be. They are general, overall, guidelines.

From BSA National Web site, Age-Appropriate Guidelines, in Scouting Safely, and, I believe, on the actual Age-Appropriate pamphlet -

"The BSA recognizes that youth in various parts of the country develop at different rates. These guidelines are designed to demonstrate the mainstream of youth capabilities.

For instance, Cub Scouts may be involved in winter camping in Alaska, where cold-weather activities are part of the culture. On the West Coast and Gulf Coast, surfing may be appropriate for Boy Scouts. In the Northeast, youth begin playing street and ice hockey at an early age.

Because of the varying development rates among youth, these activity guidelines are flexible and should not be perceived as requirements or rules. They address the mainstream of youth abilities while allowing for exceptions for Scouting units and groups based on the consideration and judgment of unit, district, and council committees and boards."