Annual Planning Conference

This past weekend we held our Annual Planning Conference but use a format that is probably familiar to most of you.

First off, our SPL's have been singularly unwilling to think ahead enough, or perhaps too immature, to conduct a planning session, because they always fall back on the familiar. And only 2-3 scouts would show up for the session (a meeting held in the church lounge around a conference table).

This year we scheduled the APC for a Friday night + all day Saturday at a small church-operated camp that none of the Scouts had ever been to. We had access to cabins and a lodge with full kitchen, along with a small field and a waterfront with canoes, row boats, and a swimming area (with raft) on a crystal clear lake. For the first time ever, we had the entire PLC present. (They had also been reminded several times to talk with their patrols about the kinds of things they want to do and to come armed with ideas.) One scout even declined an invitation to a close friend's end-of-school party.

The weather cooperated - it was perfect. Friday started with a steak dinner cooked over an open fire - got things started off right! Followed by a talking session (in overstuffed sofas/chairs) where the boys were challenged to identify goals and objectives for the next year. Followed by freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies. Comment: "We should bring the whole troop here!"

Saturday started early with fresh cinnamon rolls and fried eggs. Followed by planning sessions interspersed with a number of outdoor activities: "bouncy bocce", 3-legged and 8-legged races of 0.1 miles 1-way), plenty of water time. Our service project was re-anchoring the raft and stringing up the ropes/buoys to define the swimming areas for the beginning of the camp's summer season. All the action kept things interesting and definitely improved the quality of discussions.

The result was a well-planned calendar of events that support the goals and objectives that they identified. They returned home Saturday night (couldn't infringe on Fathers Day) tired but happy. Revised comment: "Let's not bring the entire troop here. We should keep this place just for our planning conferences."

One other thing of note: most of our Scouts are pretty poor at creating or following a schedule. We had a pretty tight schedule and gave everyone a copy of it, along with a speech about the importance of sticking to it and their personal responsibility in making it happen. (Too often, our SPL keeps the schedule to himself.) I think maybe they saw what can be accomplished with a balanced and written plan.

Our troop Scribe (who ages out in 3 weeks) commented to his parents the next day that he's sorry to be turning 18, because he's excited about what they planned. He thinks it would be more fun to participate as a Scout than as an ASM. He's probably right!

We'd used the old planning method for years - that's the way they did it when my sons moved into the troop, and we never changed it until now. I'm already thinking about ways to improve things and empower the SPL more next year. Why does it take so long for some of us old-timers to see the light?

Sounds like a winner.

btw I notice you're from CT. Anywhere near the Appalachian trail? The reason I ask is that at our troop mini-gof outting I overheard some one scout excitedly telling another about his new discovery (the Appalachian trail

quote: "And they've got this whole trail that goes all the way from one end of if to the other."

Our boys also plan the troops events (each eyar in Fall). If the exceitment has not worn off by this fall's planning session they may decide to backpack part of the trail in which case it may be wise to find a local scout to serve as guide (serving as a trail guide for out-of-state scouts could even cont as a service project.)

We're not close to the AT - it's about a 2-hour drive for us. However, several years ago, 4 of my previous scouts did a 3-day/2-night section in rain (which turned out to be the edge of a significant tropical depression - wet enough that they coined the term "whitewater hiking"). Four of them also attempted a portion of the AT in Maine, and found that they'd bitten off more than they could chew.

My recommendation before tackling the AT is to get the guys in shape with a series of warm-up hikes. Start light, then work up to full packs. And don't count last summer's training as preparation for this summer - the body doesn't stay in shape and the hike will be that much harder.

The best resource for hiking the AT is the maps published by the ATC. My understanding is that the trail is well marked and that a good map and guide book will be adequate for what you'll likely want to do. Incidentally, our experience has been that there is good cell phone coverage on the sections we've done in NW Connecticut and western Maine. Probably because the phone companies want nice high places for their towers...

One of the things my PLC stated is that they want to do more backpacking. In CT, there are few places where you can hike, pitch a tent, and move on the next day. The AT is probably our best bet.

Keep us posted on your guys' adventure.

My troop, when I was a Scout, would do sections of the AT every fall (Columbus Day; 3-day weekend). You had to be 1/C or above to go on the trip. We'd leave after school on Friday, hit the trailhead and hike in a couple of miles to a shelter. Then continue on the next day. The trick was that we lived about six hours away, so we'd be hitting the trailhead about 1-pm at night, and hiking in an hour.

Anyway, as far as annual planning conferences go -- our scouts don't really know how to do it either. So we're planning on teaching them. I'm setting up a fall retreat, similar to what you've described, for TLT and other sessions. My plan is to include sessions on planning outings, planning a patrol activity, planning a troop meeting and doing an annual plan. I'm hoping the output of that session is exactly what you've described.

I've been thinking this through in my head. This is only for PLs and the SPL. On Friday night, shortly after camp setup, I'm thinking about having the SPL running a virtual patrol meeting. In it, they'll plan a menu for a weekend outing (which, in fact, is what we'll use for the remainder of that weekend), and then also run an activity where they list all their favorite activities from years past. I am hoping they will hold on to that list and then can pull it out later, when planning the annual calendar.

I've got a few other ideas too, but I'm trying to not overschedule the entire weekend.

Guy

Thanks for the replies.

Again I don't know what the scouts are going to put into next year's plan but it wouldn't surprise me if 2011 inlcuded a couple of night on the AT.

There is a Council in NJ that has a 2-night pre-planned AT backpacking experience

From Kittatinny Mountain Scout Reservation to Yards Creek Scout Reservation

Friday: 3.7 miles

Saturday 13.8 miles

Sunday: Short Hike to Yards Creek SR

http://www.cnjc-bsa.org/camps/hikes/kmsrycsr/hike2.htm

We could do that, but

I've been told the appalachians are different and more beautiful in New England.

btw do you have to reserve campsites on the AT or is it first come first served?