assistant scout master

Welcome!

I would recommend that you have your boy ask his troop leaders (have him begin with his patrol leader) this question. If the patrol leader does not know, then the patrol leader could find out from his Senior Patrol Leader. Part of the point here is to get the boys to learn to find things out independently (as opposed to relying on adults all the time), which is why they are often encouraged to go through the youth leadership hierarchy.

That said...The card signifies that a boy has been trained in the proper, safe, use of a knife. If he is brand new to scouting, then it is unlikely that the troop expects him to have the card already. They will likely offer him some opportunities to do this training and earn the card. This is often something that takes place on camping weekends. He might also want to ask his troop leaders whether he should leave his pocket knife at home, since he doesn't have his card yet.

I hope this helps.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS AND SCOUTING! (yes I am shouting at you, but in a good way ;))

My advice for new leaders is the following

#1 Get a good mentor while you are doing training and learning the ropes

#2 GET TRAINING (caps for emphasis this go around) Fast Start, Youth Protection, are available online. SM Specific is not, but may be shortly. The take Intro to Outdoor Leaders Skills. The IOLS is very importnant in understanding the outdoor portion of the BSA

#3 Get yourself a nice camp chair and coffee mug.

#4 Get yourself a library card to check out books to read while you sit in the chair and let the boys do all the work ;)

#5 HAVE FUN! (YEP I'm shouting at you again, but it's in a good way.)

Again welcome and... HAVE FUN!

A Webelos II who has just come into Boy Scouts probably still has his Whittlin' Chip. That should qualify him to be able to take his pocket knife to activities prior to earning his Totin' Chip which will expand his education to include the safe handling of saws and axes.

The goal for me is to have the boys annually re-take the training for Totin' Chip to keep the issue of safety foremost in their minds. There is nothing wrong with taking the training too many times.

Have your son show his Whittlin' Chip and knife to the SM and have him affirm that it is okay to bring his knife to activities prior to doing the Totin' Chip training (which he should do just as soon as he has an opportunity).

Stosh