Centennial Kick-off Broadcast

Listened to the centennial broadcast at 7PM Central. It was interesting, but pretty much just repeated info already available on the web with a bit of effort. They touched on upcoming plans for making the program more palatable, the new Hispanic outreach tests, and efforts to bring more technology into use without taking the outdoors out. The short video at the end from the centennial tour that starts in Pasadena was interesting. It was hosted by one of the Eagle Scouts from the survivor program. They also discussed the new Jamboree site in more detail than I had seen as yet. The entire half hour will be up on the web within a day or two, and they will supposedly answer submitted questions sent by viewers who registered earlier as planning to view. They indicated that they received about 6,000, though many were similar.

Anyone else listen in?

We listened to it in our District RT meeting. Eh!

We did pick up 3 AT&T & 3 IPOD advert/endorsements! :~)

Other than that, I was not really impressed listening to an audio broadcast on an Internet connection. We might as well have been using a transistor radio for crying out loud.

I would have rather seen video segments of past Jamborees on Youtube with the audio in the background.

I bet hardly any scout would sit still to "listen" to it.

My son and I did indeed listen to the broadcast. He had been eagerly waiting for it since reading the email we received regardng the broadcast. I forgot about it totally and was all set to watch "Bones" on TV when he called out to tell me it was almost time.

I agree it could have been more interesting. But it is a start. My son is 13 and he and the other boys are very techno oriented. Webcasts intrigue them. We both found the video to be terrific and he will somehow download to show at our meeting next week.

Ideas like this and having the handbook on Ipod will be ways in which BSA will keep boys interested. If they feel Scouts is not keeping up with their world, they will leave it behind. As a firm believer in very traditional Scouting, I also believe we can use technology to our advantage.

Great idea!

Ken

Ken;

It is good that your son and friends find these things interesting. I agree that we can keep the "outing in scouting", and still embrace new technology and ideas. Much of the newer tech stuff does work for many things in the outdoors. It is finding the balance that is so hard much of the time. A few years back, I was completely against anything electronic on outings. Now, on rides, they keep me sane, as many simply become immersed in their games or music devices. But, a few, always continue to be involved in the real world, actually seeing things along the route and talking to me. At camp, I can see how some of these devices can be of use. Someone a while back, on one of these boards, noted that if we give them firm, specific expectations regarding the devices, then "trust them", few will break that trust. If someone does, we simply have an opportunity to discuss scout spirit.

We do though need to still make them understand that the basic skills still have a place, and they need to know them should the batteries fail, or the reception is bad or non-existent. One of the earliest skills in scouting was building a fire. But, there was never a requirement it be done without matches. They accepted that matches were a tool, and they were okay. They did have to do it with no more than two. The other fire making skills were taught and often were centers of challenges, but the basic requirement was still matches.

So, we find ways, and continue to get them to view the world outside the mundane and familiar.

Yours in Scouting,

Here is an interesting tidbit of trivia. One of my son's best friends is the nephew of AT&T Chair and CEO, Randall Stephenson who is the BSA 100th Anniversary Chair. Way back in February 2004 when my son crossed over to Boy Scouts, he recruited his buddy and earned the Recruiter strip he wears on his shirt. His buddy quit Scouts after summer camp.

Also, my older brother works for AT&T and was Stephenson's boss some 25 years ago. He would give him a ride home to the trailer house he lived in. Now the guy is a millionare and my brother works for him.

Small world.