Just saw NBC Nightly News story about "Darien EMS Post 53"...the only EMS service in Darien, CT. Manned by high schoolers in 24 hour shifts. Sounds amazingly like an Explorer Post, but there was no mention of Exploring, LFL or the BSA.

Just checked out their website: http://www.post53.org (which is a pretty good site and a pretty inspiring organization).

Everything about it appears to be consistent with an Explorer post. Kids join at age 14. But if they are associated with Explorers, they sure don't make it obvious. I think I went through the entire web site before I found one reference. On their 2004 newsletter, their return address is "Explorer Post 53".

So maybe they were Explorers but decided they didn't need the benefits of being associated with them? Or maybe they still are but decided to really downplay it.

What would be the advantage for them of being associated with Explorers? They appear to be a *very* self-sufficient organization.

Darien must be a pretty well-off town. People donate ambulances, cars, etc. Their annual operating budget is $200,000. That's some serious fund-raising.