How Do YOU Do Youth Leader Training

Just that, How do you do the youth leader training for your troop?

The SM of this troop is not really doing anything, other than doing the old VHS video training? He says that there is not much out there to help him. How could I handle this and help him train the youth of this troop.

Pete

This has been challenge.

The boys don't want to sit and listen to a lecture nor do they want to watch a Powerpoint. Tried these things and it didn't work well

This year I had the SPL and ASPL learn how to build something without instructions. Then the next meeting was teaching the other boys how to do it.

They had a blast and learned a lot without realizing they learned something.

I have been working the Troop Leader Training for the past 3 years in my son's Troop. I am one of 3 ASM's.

I have moved away from lengthy Power Points to a minimal discussion of "What's it take to Be a leader" hand out I found.

It is a summarized PDF file that looks like it is aligned with this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=7&ved=0CBkQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usscouts.org%2Fscoutmaster%2Ftraining_final.pdf&rct=j&q=boy+scout+%22junior+leader%22&ei=bMn6Ss2vDZSnlAfJjMm6Aw&usg=AFQjCNGjthEM7HpG8sjhex83S_CzguC2Yg

So, I run a Q&A on leadership styles, when they work and situations where they can best be used, and how to deal with conflict (make up scenarios using those who came to JLT - and see how they react/resolve it).

I also include a section on games (since that's what Scouting is).

I ask each Scout to stand, state a game name, explain how to play it and how teams are chosen. Then I ask questions like: What happens if someone breaks the rules? What's the penalty? How do you keep from choosing lop-sided teams? How can you make team selection without singling out the smallest or youngest? Can you modify the game for visiting Webelos or inside/outside?

By the time 1 or 2 have described the game, I quit asking questions, and let the scouts ask each other.

The main thing is whatever you cover, the SM and the other ASM's have to be on the same page.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Here's the agenda from our Sept. TLT - http://troop479.org/tltagenda.pdf

We have an SPL election every 6 months and the new SPL arranges a date for his TLT right away.

The Scoutmaster meets with SPL/ASPL for about an hour of training and planning. Then, the SPL/ASPL prepare for and lead most of the TLT. They also solicit help for some parts from other advanced scouts or do it themselves.

It takes from 3.5 to 4 hours including about 1 hour of lunch and breaks with games. Plus, some parts of the training are games and activities. There's snacks and drinks available all day.

The SPL also decides if the troop planning session is done in conjunction with the TLT or at a different date. We have an 8th grade SPL and ASPL now and they ran an excellent TLT 6 weeks ago.

Youth training is ongoing. After the TLT session, the Scoumaster meets separately with the SPL and ASPL about every 2 weeks. He checks in with each other position monthly (theoretically).

We also have an adult volunteer for each leadership position that acts as mentor - a resource for the scout to get advice and assistance as they need.

Huh. Powerpoint and official stuff.

I'm new at this, with a new troop. The only youth training I have so far is when a new patrol leader is elected. I've just taken the modules from the Scoutmaster's handbook and basically pulled the new leader aside three meetings in a row and talked to him for about 5-10 minutes about one module per week.

Maybe I'll need more when the troop expands a bit...

Yah, I think to do it right yeh train to the needs of the fellows you have. So my question, PeteM, is what's the biggest need for the current crop of troop leaders? Skills development? Planning? Instructor training? Teamwork/group dynamics?

Unless they really have a need for learnin' indoor meeting and powerpoint skills, your TLT should be a full weekend and it should be outdoors. It should be practical, skills-based, and challenging, but with time for reflection and ideas and "how do I do this with my patrol?"

For example, if planning is somethin' that they really need help with, then go somewhere new, plan a really tight, fun schedule, show them hands-on how da planning and execution works, and give 'em time to think and talk about it and then maybe plan out a trip for their patrol that's similar.

If skills development is a big need, then do a backpacking trip where yeh get a lot of chances to teach (and especially practice) packing, navigation, what to do when lost :), cooking, LNT, etc. so that they really become confident in those things for leadin' their guys.

If teamwork and group dynamics is a big need, find a full high-and-low ropes / COPE course and go there, with a lot of reflection/discussion after each element. Then follow up da next day with a hard day outing where yeh try to put what they learned about workin' in a team to use on something closer to an average outing for your troop.

You get da picture, eh? It takes more time than one evening. Even more time than a single weekend, but at least a weekend is a good kickoff. Yeh need to tailor it to where your youth leaders are at, which has the added bonus that it's not goin' to be repetitious from year to year, since each year they're goin' to need something a bit different. And it needs to be outdoors, where boys and men really do scouting.

Oh, yah. Pay some kid to bring a paintball gun and to shoot any adult who pulls out an organizational chart or a job description. :) If yeh can't do scoutin' without that kind of silly adult mishmash, yeh deserve to be lyin' on da floor with a red paint wound. At least that way yeh make a good first aid scenario.

Beavah

I am a strong believer in the Green Bar method. It is an updated method based upon Bill Hillcourt's training programs. Here is the link: http://inquiry.net/patrol/green_bar/index.htm

This training is meant to reinforce the Patrol Method. All the information is right there. I cannot recommend this material strongly enough! It is the most comprehensive troop/patrol level training program out there.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

Good question. JLT over that last 20 has turned into kind of change from unit level youth leadership training to a generic term for leadership development. At least around anyway. NYLT, JLTC, TLT, Brownsea, GreenBar, and so on can come under the term Junior Leadership Training (JLT). Troop Leadership Training (TLT) is a fairly new training course from National designed to be run at the troop level.

Thanks for the correction.

Barry