New Handbook and companion

Ok I am a book collector and just bought the new HB. It is actually a HB and a "Centennial Timeline" Now much time to read, just got out of a leaders meeting and am headed off on a family trip but a few quick comments. New HB does bring back some of the beautiful artwork from the past and I love it. A bit on chivalry is included and also like. Overall I love the use of photos and old artwork. AND I think I may have met one of the photographers, so it adds a personal touch for me.

Companion book also looks good. It even mentions Star Wars in the time line. Only errors I've found are the 1984 version of the Webelos HB in the 1940s, and they said thhe 1995 WSJ theme was "Future is Today" when it's actually "Future is Now."

More comments to come.

I was driving by our local Scout shop on Saturday, so I dropped in and bought the new HB. I haven't spent that much time reading it so far, but it is completely reorganized. The first thing that jumps out at me is that the previous handbook kind of stresses T - 1C rank advancement right up front. The new one is separated into sections ("First Aid", "Leave No Trace", etc), with less emphasis on ranks. Lots of artwork, and it looks nice.

Guy

I got the new Handbook and companion.

As a scouting historian, I found SEVERAL factual errors in the text, along with a few photo errors.

Off the top of my head:

* gives the impression that BSA National was fully setup in February of 1910, including Seton being Chief Scout, Beard being National Scouting Commissioner. These things actually happened later that year.

* gives the impression Air Scouting ended in 1949, when it really continued as Air Exploring until 1965.

* mentions the establishment of Explorer Scouts in the 1930s, but incorrectly referes to it as Explorers, and shows a 1950 piece of artwork (the logos used for the programs were very different).

* mentions the replacement of Senior Scouts with Explorers in 1949, but incorrectly refers to them as Explorer Scouts (that term was dropped in 1949).

* mentioned the establishment of the 'modern' Exploring in 1959, but uses the post-1998 split Exploring logo with this, rather then the 1959 Exploring logo.

* mentions the establishment of the Maine High Adventure base, but uses a picture of people next to the Northern Tier HA program.

* mentions the inclusion of the Charles Sommner Base into the Northern Tier programs happening in the 1920s!!! The term "Northern Tier" is actually much recent.

Here is my more complete comments on the historical companion.

1907. Publication of "Scouting for Boys" is included under 1907. Belive it was published in early 1908.

1910. Notes the BSA being established by Boyce in February of that year, and goes on about Seton and Beard etc. This is a little incorrect. Seton, Beard et al didn't get involved until later that year, when Robinson worked to setup the BSA organization. As written, it gives the impression everything got setup in February.

1915. Notes that the OA, "Scouting Honor Society" is established. Yes, the OA was established, but it wouldn't become "Scouting's Honor Society" until later.

1923. Notes that the Charles Sommers Canoe Base is folded into the Northern Tier programs. Uh. Not quite. It started as the Region X Canoe Trails in that year. The name "Charles Sommers Canoe Base" came several decades later. And the term "Northern Tier" several decades after that. If it had said Charlie Base was established that year and later became part of the Northern Tier programs it would have been more accurate.

1933. BSA "esablished Exploring Program". Not quite. They establish Explorer Scouts. It wouldn't be called Exploring until much later. terminology is important, because the programs were changed along with the name changes. And they made a mistake to illustrate this with a 1940s Explorer uniform guide.

1935. "Senior Scouting becomes a program for older boys". No mention that Senior Scouting pulled together Sea Scouts, Explorer Scouts, and later Air Scouts...

1939. Notes establishment of Air Scouts, and says it continues to 1949. Not quite. What happened was Air Scouts became Air Explorers in 1949 and the program would continue pretty much unchanged until 1965.

1949. Says that "Explorer Scouting grew out of Senior Scouting program". Again, not quite. Explorers replaced Senior Scouting. The term "Explorer Scout" was dropped in favor of Explorers.

1959. Notes that Exploring came into existance. However, they illustrate this with the post-1998 Exploring logo, and a "Circle-V" logo with a post-1998 "Big E", when there should be a fdl in the center.

1967. World Jamboree. Wish they used a picture of a real WJ patch, rather then a poorly done repro.

1971. Maine High Adventure base established. Too bad they illustrate this with a picture of people by the Northern Tier sign...

1972. NESA established. Would have been nice to note that it replaced the Knight of Dunamis...

1976. Bicenntennial. Would have liked to have seen the BSA Bicentennial patches shown...

1982. Notes the Oscar De La Renta uniform. HOWEVER, it came out in 1981!! I had to wear to the 81 Jamboree...

1984. We can't show a Varsity Scout logo?

1985. We can't show the BSA 75th logo?

2002. Notes the BSA National Museum setup in Irving. Uh, why no mention of Schiff or the prior 2 national museums???

I haven't yet seen the new HB.

What do people think about the skill-focused content of the new HB? Is it good, better, worse, than the previous edition?

I like the idea that it is separated by topic, rather than by ranks.

Arranging the book by skills is pretty good. The knots and lashing section won't win any awards for clarity. If someone tried to learn the "alternative method" for the bowline by looking at the book, they'd be totally lost. The rest of the knots are pretty good (although the picture from #1 to #2 for the square knot won't help anybody either. The twisting of the loose end for the beginning of lashing isn't explained, nor is it necessary, and the diagonal lashing is demonstrated on a 90 degree angle.

I suppose we could be critical of little things all day long (and I'll start another thread in that regard), but overall, I think the new book is terrific. Using illustrations from old Handbooks adds a great deal to this one. It's a good book, and it feels more "adventurous." I think the kids will like it.

BDPT00