Interesting last comment; it seems someone took not at Tahquitz from Long Beach Area Council. They are offering Venture specific program at their camp, along with an already very advanced high adventure program, horses, and COPE. Camp is more laid back, and seems to have a strong draw for older scouts due to looser structure and more opportunity.

One for the challenges I've faced in marekting a new older scout program was lack of understanding from council administration, and lack of promotion.

I was hired to create and implement the program way back when, and while the council powers understood somethign was needed, they couldn't comprehend the type of program I created, which incidentally was based upon a program the council used years earlier and was successfull untilthey discontinued it to focus on MBs.

The major problem was that no promotion for the new program was done, until the last minute. So it wasn't in the SC HB. ther ewas no metion of it at camp promos or at the SM prep meetings. Just an quick blurb in the newspaper the council sends out in April. Surpiseingly no one signed up for a trip that combined COPE, backpacking, and canoeing.

Now those camps that do get it and offer a HA program are doign very well. The Bonner Scout Reservation has two camps: a traditional summer camp at Camp Bonner, and a natuionally accredited HA base called Pamilico Sea Base, and spots go quickly for both.

Is it our goal to try and get these older scouts to attend summer camp with the troop, or go to one of these programs where they are separated from the troop for the week?

A couple of years ago, we did a standard summer camp for the younger scouts. 3 older scouts came up with us but did a high adventure climbing/backpacking trek the camp offered. We never saw them the entire week until check out. It was like they were never even there. They loved it. But I can't say they did summer camp with the troop. Bonding with the younger scouts didn't happen.

The camp also offers a program for older scouts where they come back every dinner and camp with the troop. Leave in the morning for program stuff. Not very popular amongst our guys.