Older Scouts @ mtgs-What do they do?

Hello,

My son is a new Scout in a Troop. He was a Tiger-Web II, (I was his leader so I'm pretty familiar with the Cub program, but not with Boy Scouts) He is in a Troop of about 20-25 active boys with 4 patrols. His new patrol is being guided by an older Scout and an Asst SM. It seems to run fine.

But I'm not sure I understand what the older boys are suppose to doing Troop meetings. These are boys who are from Second Class-Star with one Eagle.

During the mtgs, other than when they a specifically planning for an outing, they just seem to be goofing around all the time.

So my question is what are older boys suppose to be doing meetings when there is not a specific outing planned.

Just trying to understand.

Thanks

Time and time again, you'll hear the expression "organized chaos" to describe a regular troop meeting. Under close observation you should probably see things being accomplished, with youth leadership taking care of things. Adults, ideally, might be sitting around observing, one-on-one conferencing (such as SM conferences), or taking care of committee business.

The important thing, though, is that it isn't Cubs. It shouldn't be like Den Leaders and Cubmasters organizing, running things and entertaining youth.

For example, our troop recently hosted an overnight for a group of Webelos. At one point, I noticed that we had a few scouts off with small groups of Webelos, the SM was talking to a couple of older scouts, and a few other scouts were off doing their own thing, and about six or eight Webelos dads were sitting at a picnic table observing what was going on. As membership chair of the troop, I'm kind of like their liaison, so I sat with them a bit and told them that while it looked like "organized chaos" it was actually running quite well. From the noise going on, you could tell everyone was busy and having fun.

Anyway -- I'd suggest that you observe a bit more with the new filter that Boy Scouts is not Cub Scouts. If it still bothers you, talk to the SM or the CC and find out if you're missing something.

Guy

We open with flag ceremony, pledge and oath. SPL makes announcements. Awards are given out. Troop breaks up into patrols. Patrols either plan for next event or have specific tasks to accomplish. We have 6 patrols so each patrol is in charge of planning two campouts per year. Choosing locations, activities, permits, costs, etc. After patrol time, is game time. At end of game, reassemble for scoutmaster minute and leave.

Troop instructors may present material to NSP. Individual members have SM conferences. Individuals held off to BOR. Quartermasters inventory, repair, or organize gear. This month we are heading off to summer camp so patrol time has been spent practicing lashing and designing pioneering project for summer camp improvement. Often a few scouts are meeting with merit badge counslers. Troop elections, OA elections, How to pack for cold weather, How to pack for summer camp, COH, outside presentations like DARE, alumini Eagle returning from Military Academy, Woodbadge beading ceremonies, Yute protection training, etc. can take over meetings. Of course there are off site troop meetings like when we descend on the bike shop for bike check prior to bike trip or meet at the pool to complete swim check prior to summer camp.

We have aged based patrols so the older patrols tend to choose grubmasters and menus more quickly than the younger patrols. They tend to "just hang out" and talk during patrol times once they get the required stuff accomplished. Some patrols agree to work a merit badge as a patrol.

Seems like there are not enough meetings or time to accomplish everything in a timely manner. Occasionally there is a lull but not often.

We run into the same situation where the older scouts seem to be idle while the younger scouts are busy. As was mentioned that sometimes this happens because they are quicker at planning for upcoming events. Theoretically, they could be find some other task to keep themselves busy. As the SM, when I see a group sitting idle, I sit down with them and just join the conversation. these informal, multiperson conferences are a great way to see what the older guys are thinking and feeling about the troop. I have been able to increase older scout participation on campouts by personally encouraging them to come. (Announcements and signup sheets aren't enough) Sometimes I ask them to go help a group of younger scouts. They usually are very eager to help but just need that little nudge in the right direction.

I know ultimately that the PLC needs to work harder on planning meetings so that there is more consideration to both the older and younger scouts and that multiple activities need to be considered. We are working on that.