Hey,

Does anyone know if there is a proper procedure for folding a troop flag in a flag ceremony? I am an SPL and I think it would be neat to fly our troop flag under the American Flag during campouts, but I dont know how to fold it when we retire the colors.

Anybody know?

I don't know that there is any official rule on the right way to fold the troop flag. You do not fold it in triangles like the US flag. What we do is it is folded lengthwise in half and then in half again like the US flag. Then it is folded in half the other way (fly to hoist) and this is repeated until it is a reasonable sized rectangle. We follow the same practice for all flags other than the national flag.

The US flag goes up first and comes down last so that it is always higher than the troop (or state) flags. You may fly the troop flag on the same halyard as the US Flag.

At camp we have been know to go a little crazy with out flags. In our troop site we erected a flag pole with a cross spar and three halyards, one to the top of the pole and one to each end of the spar. The US flag went to the top of the pole, Virginia Flag to the right end of the spar and the Arlington County flag above the troop flag on the left end of the spar. We haven't done that in a while as the flag pole rotted out and was replaced with a single pole and we misplaced the Virginia and county flags. The missing flags have recently been found so who knows.

Go for it. It adds a ceremony to your outings and demonstrates pride in your unit.

As pointed out, there are no rules, so start your own tradition! Over the years, we have had British exchange Scouts on Camp staff. I always found it interesting at colors when they retrieve the Union Jack and fold it in thirds and roll it up like a sleeping bag. Not sure what their tradition is, but I guess it keeps it from getting wrinkled.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm developing a way to fold the troop flag so that the flour-de-lis in the center of the flag will show on top. I'm going to borrow one of our troop flags and try it out. If it works I might post it here.