I have necker-slides made from a short piece of paracord to carved wood from summer camps, bolos, and when I can find it, my Woodbadge woggels. I have a couple woggles made from paracord and 1 with a buffalo on it!

So, yeah, necker-slide it up!

I discourage the Scouts from knotting up the necker with a "reef knot", by giving up my paracord slides in the process. I think it may have been on purpose now that I think about it.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

I still wear one I made back in the early '70, set of twin'80s Scuba tanks. Took some round Lincoln Logs, model car carborater or something from a model car kit, piece of black plastic covered copper wire and velcro on the back to hold it all together with the neckerchief.

Making that Scuba tank slide stayed with me for years. Finally got my Padi Open Water Scuba Certification while in college. Been diving off and on for years. All because of a neckerchief slide....

A regular item in Boys' Life magazines of the 40s and 50s was info on carving different neckerchief slides. There were several companies (Neal, Torchy, etc) who made a variety of nice molded plastic slides for scouts to paint and wear.

Check out these sites for ideas

http://www.scoutguy.com/

http://www.paulssupplies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12&zenid=uq0sck5k4vpbso5bcosjrmnsb0

The scout store stocks about a dozen different blanks. I have carved about 15 of the 3 finger scout sign slide. Takes about 1.5 hours. Gave them away to all the rising Webelos in my den. Give them out to scouts who deserve a special award.

I carved about three different dozen other slides. One that was really simple was a wooden ball I bought at the craft store. Drilled hole through the middle, painted the whole thing white. Then painted a blue circle with a black center. Then painted some radiating red lines. Giant bloodshot eyeball. Scouts often tell me Cool Slide. My response: I've got my eye on you!

1/2 pvc pipe cut 1" length, hot-glued microchip that my former company threw out, hot-glued couple rolly eyes, and tossed in a curly wire, computer bug neckerchief slide ... my oldest and his buddies used to wear all the time throughout cub years!

Yeah, OneHour, that's a great idea. Just remember to cut the burrs off the inside edges of the pvc so it doesn't snag the fabric. I use something like that idea but I put real (dead) bugs on them. Don't last long though but the pvc is permanent and you can reglue almost anything.

I'd say you can use anything that works as a slide. The quirkier the better.