Band of Brothers- Eagle Ceremony

I saw the thread on Band of Brothers as a cross over ceremony topic and it reminded me of this speech I paraphrased for an Eagle Court of Honor. It's based on Henry V's speech prior to the Battle of Agincourt. Some of you may remember it as the speech the recruit recites in the pouring rain in Renaissance Man. The soliquoy from Henry V is where the term "Band of Brothers" originates. The original is worth reading as well

http://www.chronique.com/Library/Knights/crispen.htm

but onto the speech:

Brothers, this is he who that wishes to join the ranks of we Eagles.

We must assure ourselves his efforts match the requirements of our little band

He hath served the troop for over 6 months as a Life scout, earned the required merit badges and he performed a service project, demonstrating the Leadership required of an Eagle

We must not dilute the requirements of attaining this, the highest of all scouting honors.

The fewer men, the greater share of honor. Wish not one more Eagle unless he deserveth to attain this rank. By Jove We are not covetous for gold, Nor care who doth feed upon our cost; It yearns us not if men our garments wear; Such outward things dwell not in our desires: But if it be a sin to covet honour, we are the most offending souls alive. If one hath not attained honorably this rank, if it found That he hath no stomach to this earn this honor and live as an Eagle without blight, Let him depart; his passport shall be made And crowns for convoy put into his purse. We would not be in that man's company That fears his fellowship to live with honor. This day is called an Eagle Court of Honor, He that enjoys such a day, Will stand a tip-toe when such a day is named or the rank of Eagle mentioned. He that shall live and see old age, may yearly on the vigil feast his neighbors, And say 'To-morrow is an Eagle Court of Honor for once an Eagle, always it is so. Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages What feats he did that earned him the Eagle honor. Then shall our names. Familiar in his mouth as household words , be freshly remember'd. (recent Troop Eagle names) and more.

This story shall the good man teach his son. And an Eagle Day shall ne'er go by, From this day to the ending of the world, But we in it shall be remember'd

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that wears his Eagle medal with us Shall be our brother; be he ne'er so young, old, rich or poor or of any creed.. This day shall make him like our own family. And gentlemen who can not wear the Eagle Shall think themselves accursed they did not achieve what we have And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks about what they did to earn the right to Eagle be called.

Great ceremony. I'll file it for future use.

To those scouters who find things like this embarrassing:

I've been to your meetings and seen your ceremonies. Can't say I remember much from them because they are rather pedestrian. But put a ceremony like this together and Scouts and parents will remember it.

As a former Cubmaster I put on many a crown, headdress, scarf and eye patch to hand out awards to make some Scout's experience memorable. And I've been to those other units, Troop and Pack, who did not do this. They are just not that memorable. My son's Scoutmaster was of that ilk and it took a little convincing to get him to agree just to announce rank awards and shake the Scout's hands as they advance. But after doing it a couple of times, It's clear that the Scouts really appreciate it. Now to get him to the next step of actually thinking of ceremonies....

So go ahead and read a little Shakespeare. Put your ego in your pocket and concentrate on making a memory for a Scout. He'll appreciate it.

CMM

You can't go wrong with Shakespeare. I couldn't use your script because I am not an Eagle and would feel somewhat the poser welcoming a new Eagle to a band of brothers to which I don't belong. The Henry V speech is one of my favorites though, and not just because Henry and I share a nickname.

I have used the plot of Hamlet as a campfire story a couple of times. I don't use the name but rather call him the Danish prince. A couple of the older scouts and about half the adults made the connection. I've thought of using the "Scottish play" as well (theatre superstition leads me to refrain from using the title). Witches, blood, guts and a sleepwalking queen who wants to put out the dog. Yeah, that could work.

Hal

I don't mind the general concept of modifying some other writing to fit an Eagle ceremony, except that this puts down non-Eagles, and it's very poorly written. I find it arrogant at best.

BDPT00