We use TroopMaster. I've been involved with it as ASM-Advancement and now as SM. We have the internet connection and it works fantastic. I have not used any other Troop software so I cannot compare it. Just a plug for what we use, TroopMaster gets an A+.

Stosh

In my book, TroopLedger is worth the money, although my committee Treasurer disagrees.

TroopLedger goes far beyond what you can easily do with Excel or any simple spreadsheet. For example,

* Easily set up multiple accounts, including scout accounts, trip accounts, fund raising accounts, liability accounts, etc., etc.

* Easily split proceeds from activities among participating scouts

* Track troop assets (equipment), including aging.

* Prepare comprehensive budgets for next year

It does take a little effort to get TroopLedger set up properly, and once that's done you have to think a bit like an accountant to make sure that assets and liabilities are identified properly. But the results are SO MUCH BETTER than the spreadsheet model.

TroopLedger also has the distinct advantage of having been designed specifically to track financial operations for Boy Scout Troops. It's not a generic program designed for small business or home finances (a la Quicken). It also is designed as a single-user application, so you don't have multiple people mucking with the finances without accountability (unlike TroopMaster, which is outstanding and has multi-user capability).

I think my treasurer's opposition to TroopLedger was that she didn't want to be bothered learning how to use the program, even with its excellent documentation. As a result, she fell back on Excel, and only she can make heads or tails out of it. But it's what she was comfortable with. (Her predecessor used paper ledger sheets, so Excel is an improvement...).