Unpredictable Oklahoma Weather

While a lot of places around the US like to use the saying, "if you don't like the weather in XXX, just wait five minutes and it'll change" it really applies to Oklahoma. Here it is February 10th (the ice finally melted out of my frontyard a couple of days ago) and we are having tornados on the ground with damage this afternoon. Some of them are up Eagledad's way. Hope all is well with him.

My dad lives in Del city, and my mom is just outside of OK City.

I have often heard them say, "if the wind does not blow, you don't have to pay your rent."

The family and I stayed at a S.P. outside of Ok City one year in a pop-up and experienced:

"80 MPH straight line wind"

When Ok. has Tornadoes, it ain't just one, it's a line of Tornadoes one behind the other.

Thanks for your thoughts Beav, we are ok. The tornado took and interesting path that went 1 mile west of my mother, a half mile north of my sister, 2 miles west or my house and just a couple blocks from my mother in-law. In fact the picture on the front page of the Daily Oklahoman news paper this morning, showing all the downed power lines as far as you can see, is by my mother in-laws neighborhood. I drove through the storm last night to bring my mother in law to our home until she got power back. By the looks of the damage, I thought she would be staying with us at least a couple days, but as she was packing her clothes, low and behold the power came back on. The linesmen in Oklahoma are amazing. Between our Spring storms and our winter ice storms, I guess they get a lot of practice.

For you golfers, the tornado cut a large swath through the Oak Tree Golf county club golf course, which you see from time to time on the PGA tour. A few houses there were leveled and I think Bob Tways (golf pro) house is one of them. Amazingly, nobody was killed. Our town is now cut in half with from the damage and down power lines, so it make take some time to clean up. But for the size tornado that went through, we have been very blessed with no deaths and just minor enjuries.

The folks in southern Oklahoma werent so lucky. Several deaths and it was near our Council camp, Slippery Falls. We may have lots of work this spring getting ready for summer camp.

Have a great day all.

Barry

Barry,

I'm glad they missed you and yours THIS time. All I got was some pea sized hail and rain on the south side as everything was skirting off to the west by Camp Kickapoo before tacking east and hammering the north side of town. My nephew's car got pounded by golfball and baseball sized hail in Yukon. He sent pictures with holes punched thru his windshield and the car looking like someone took a baseball bat to it. Weather in Oklahoma is always interesting. Hey, maybe the burn ban will be lifted before our wilderness survival campout two weeks from now!