On timeliness and tardiness....

Who is late? Yes, it is mostly the older scouts. Often these scouts drive themselves to meetings, and they see fit to arrive when is convenient. We have a few who are involved in sports and theatre, but never did I intend to include them in this group. I am really talking about scouts who just wander in when they please. One of these scouts who drives is sometimes brought by his dad, and ususlly shows up later when his dad drives him.

And I am not talking about activities here, only troop meetings. The local school district changed times for middle and high schools this year to initiate savings in bus costs. Our middle schoolers get out at 4:30 and sometimes do not get dropped off at home until 5:30, making 6:00 pm Friday departure times for weekend activities difficult. You know, I just though about this. The PLC decided upon 6:45 back in March when HS was released at 2:30 pm; with the new schedule HS is out at 3:30. That may be part of the problem. If we have Webelos crossovers, then from March-May, these elementary boys must be at school by 7:15 am, so I don't want to push it too late. Maybe a simple 7-8:30 would be enough.

BW, you asked about pre-opening activities. I am a strong proponent of this. However, I might add that I expect this to be a boy-organized and boy-led activity. When the SPL shows up right at meeting start time (on good days) with nothing in hand, this has not been something I have been able to get the youth leaders to take ownership of.

Beavah, you talked about an incentive. Can you give some examples of what we might try here? I used an incentive on uniforming last year and that worked all right, but I would like to try something else here. Any ideas on this?(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)