Exploring on the move?

I have heard that Exploring is moving from LFL too once again being a traditional BSA program.

I don't know how true this is?

If anyone does have the facts? I'd love to see them.

Also what impact will this have on both Exploring and Venturing, if any?

Ea.

I find that VERY hard to believe.

The reason the Exploring program was split into Exploring and Venturing, was that most of the career-oriented Exploring Posts (which became Exploring by itself after 1998) were chartered to government bodies. The BSA's policies regarding faith and homosexuality was a major issue for these groups. So the only way these posts could survive (along with the career-oriented part of Exploring) was to move it to LFL.

Actually, Venturing was in the works for a couple of years before the split. But I think things were pushed out sooner due to the forced split.

Also, as I understood it, the first Venturing Director was apparently a bit of a control freak, and delayed the rollout of a lot of stuff that should have come out in August of 1998.

(Charles Holmes replaced him sometime in early 1999).

Well my first impression of Holmes' predecessor was not real encouraging. Met him the first time when he did the presentation on Venturing at PDL-1. Let's just say he ticked off 40+ Eagles when he said that the Silver Award is now Scouting's highest honor, supplanting Eagle. Sorry but Eagle is still the highest, with Quartermaster and Silver being EQUIVELENT to Eagle.

on another note, the predecssor was the one calling Venturing Crews "Venture Crews," but more on that tonite in the Venturing thread.

"he said that the Silver Award is now Scouting's highest honor, supplanting Eagle. Sorry but Eagle is still the highest, with Quartermaster and Silver being EQUIVELENT to Eagle."

Well, he's right and wrong.

None of them are 'scouting's highest honor'.

Eagle is the highest Boy Scout award

Silver is the highest Venturing award

Quartermaster is the highest Sea Scout award

IMO, its improper to claim that any of them is 'scouting's highest honor', because that diminishes the rest. Keep in mind if they are equivalent, then Eagle can't be THE highest. :)

I have a great scan of the cover of a scouting publication from the late 40s that shows the highest awards of the time (Ranger, Ace, Eagle, and Quartermaster), with the obvious message that ALL are the highest awards of scouting.