When your Scouts do something right without you even looking

Our District's fall camporee is this weekend. Because of health issues, I can't stay over night, but I spent the day with them yesterday and plan to head out in a bit today for breakfast, Sunday service and awards.

One of the competitions yesterday was canoe races. Each patrol had to select two Scouts to do the race. I wandered over to watch a few of the races - our guys had already finished and moved on to another station.

An older Scout from another Troop came up to me and said "I really like the boys in your Troop." He went on to explain that in these types of competitions when the whole patrol does not compete, the patrol usually picks the biggest and strongest, most experienced, etc.

In our patrol's case, the boys played rock, paper, scissors to determine who the two would be to compete. The result was two of the smallest boys in our Troop - one of whom just joined and has autism.

He told me they probably got the slowest time, but the boys on the bank were cheering on the two in the canoe. He said he wished the guy running the competition could give extra points for spirit.

I am so proud of our guys.