Patuxent Naval Air Station

I did as a scout and it was a blast but that was 1965. Stayed in barracks, ate at the galley, got to sit in the cockpits of A-4s, F-4s and A-6s... the planes that were going to win that war in Vietnam. There wasn't a boy in our troop that didn't want to be a navy aviator after that. At least one actually did. (Not me).

Would love to see what others have to say as the boys in my troop would probably love it as much as I did.

http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.contact_us

I'll leave more details to my Naval brethren here.

Remember, this is the post-9/11 military. At Fort Leavenworth, where I work, a Scout Troop needs a fair bit of front-end coordination to get on post.

Here's the thread we did on the general subject a few months back:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=172912

I'll bump it to the top. It's in the Camping Forum.

Call the local Council; contact one of the Scoutmasters on the base (many bases have more than one Troop). He'll tell you if the right path is through Base Public Affairs or Base Security.

If you go, have fun, and then tell us what procedures actually were used at Pax River. It'll help someone else.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Remember, this is the post-9/11 military. At Fort Leavenworth, where I work, a Scout Troop needs a fair bit of front-end coordination to get on post.

I did some TDYwork at Pax River aseveral years back (the week after the Columbia disaster, if I recall). This is not an easy base to get onto. As a contractor, I had to be met at the gate by a supervisor with a signed letter from the military director over our operation. (I was issued a temporary 1 week pass, and even though I was there for 2 weeks, I had to repeat the processfor the second week of my stay.Having previously worked around largely open posts, this was a switch.)

Great area there. I can't imagine where you could camp, but my expose to the base was admittedly limited.

Local troops andcrews here regularlyworkwith/at the Army Ranger survival school at EglinAFB for Wilderness Survival camping. They assign us an area outside of where they are currently training and even provide instructors to assist when we like.

Good relations with the local base can really help out scouting programs.