What would you change first?

hi all,

just a (sorta) bomb throwing question here...

If LDS troops do not follow the BSA program to the letter...why should this troop?

I go back to a question I asked these forums years ago...If a troop is successful, and if the families are supporting the troop and it has a long string of successes...what is wrong with a tougher than usual program? Maybe that's what the CO wants!

afterall the BSA says the CO can taylor the program and the LDS certainly does...

When most of us look in the mirror we understand that BSA has watered down the program trying to be everything to everyone...(lowest common denominator theory), so if these boys and their families want a "tougher" program...what's the harm? Let the the weaker weekend warriors (and families) find a pablem and bottle fed webelos III troop and be done with it...

Those who want to eat lotus blossom can... and those who want to take pride in more difficult tasks can have a place also...no one has ever forced a boy/family to join a troop (I hope).

'course, I already know the responses....

let the howling begin...

Anarchist

I don't reckon there are a lot of boys stumblin' here, eh? It's a large troop, with a good CO relationship, many active parents, and a heck of a lot of Eagle Scouts. Boys seem to be advancin' just fine. My guess, from seein' lots of units like this, is that they're fairly active in da district and bring in lots of FOS dollars as NeilLup suggests. :cool:

Or at least that's what it seems like, eh? :) Always hard to tell from afar. Like I said, I've known a few troops like this, and so I might be envisioning somethin' different than what AlFansome is actually experiencing.

All da complaint here are about only one method, eh? And it's not that they aren't usin' the method or kids aren't advancin', it's that they've put a lot of extra structure on it. Regimented it a bit much. But as someone mentioned, as guidelines what they suggest is a pretty reasonable progression, eh? Maybe a bit too active for some families, but certainly not for da families they serve. We don't know at all how they'd handle transfers, but we've got no reason to assume they wouldn't welcome a transfer scout and treat him just fine.

Yah, some things should change, eh? But start an adult fight, "I'm right, and the 34-year Scoutmaster everyone loves and respects is wrong" and yeh won't have much of a unit left. Or you won't be left! Those boys and those families bought into this program, eh? What you're talkin' about is changin' the program they sought out, chose, and love. My bet is that if yeh asked them, those boys are proud of their accomplishments and ranks. Far from stumblin', they're climbin'.

All things in balance, eh? Dat's why in WB we teach styles of leadership. We don't always have to be directive.

Again, what I would address first is succession, eh? Makin' sure that when da SM gives up his badge, there's good structure in place for a replacement. That change from a long-time charismatic fellow is really rough on troops.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

I think Bob White got the break down right in his first post. But I don't think a new CC or COR is going to change anything.

The Scoutmaster of this troop is a good friend of mine -- well, if it's not him, it's three other guys just like him. He walks on hallowed ground. People avert their eyes and speak in hushed tones when he's in the building. I'll guarantee you half the troops in his council wish their program were like his.

Nothing is going to change until the SM wants it to.

Even if I were coming in as a new SM with the blessings of the CC and COR to change things I would still move slowly. There's no need to make a big deal of the changes. We had a little bit of this stuff going on in our troop when I took over as SM. I simply and quietly stopped enforcing stuff. I let the boys take the MBs they want at summer camp (although we do make recommendations) and Life Scouts begin their Eagle projects when they're ready, not after they've finished all the MBs.