The complexities of a hurricane so far away

Happy Labor Day All

Sometime we dont see all the changes of our everyday life until it gets personal. My dad called me Saturday night and told me that my uncle had died. While that is difficult in its own right, my uncle lives in Mississippi near the gulf coast. My dad lives in Orlando and was told he cant go to his brothers funeral because they were having it Sunday afternoon (yesterday). The funeral director told my cousins that they didnt have power for two week after Katrina resulting in the freezers not being able to preserve the bodies. So they were burying all they had and there was an opening Sunday afternoon. There was no way for dad to get to the funeral in time, and even if there was, they would be at risk not getting out. Add to that my cousins were needing as much time as they could get to prepare their properties for the storm.

All is well for our families and while we are far away, my sisters and I have been checking in with dad to make sure he is OK. Strangely, he is also closely watching another Hurricane in the Atlantic that is presently heading toward central Florida.

I know we are a family here and your thoughts are with my family and all the families in harms way. I just wanted to show how a storm so far away can effect so many of us.

Our prayers are with all those effected by the hurricane.

Barry

Barry,

Am sorry for the loss of your uncle. I can only imagine how difficult that is for your father not being able to come up.

I live right near the airport in Pensacola, and not 5 minutes ago, I decided that our airport must be closed (I worked in the aviation fields for 15 years), due to very gusty winds. The Mississippi coast is about half way from here to the center of Gustav at the moment, and their conditions are certainly much worse than what we have here.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers over the next few days, especially as Hanna does what she is going to do.