Scout to Scouter transition

emb021 writes

"Something similiar happens with those registered with Venturing Crews when they turn 21. Again, they stop being a Venturers, which ends advancement, they can't hold office in the Crew (or at any level above the crew), etc, but they remain on the roster until the Crew recharters.

Some people argue these Venturers are somehow still venturers after 21, which is nonsense."

Actually it is not non-sense it is writtin in the Venturing Leader Manual. "Venturers registered in a Crew or Ship before their 21st birthday may continue as members after their 21st Birthday until the crew or ship recharters or until they reach their 22nd birthday." While I agree that the they cannot seek rank advancement after their 21st birthday, there is nothing that prohibits them as members from holding office or earning non-rank recognitions.

This is different than the membership rule in the Boy Scout program where their youth membership ends on their 18th Birthday unless they have been granted an extension.

"While I agree that the they cannot seek rank advancement after their 21st birthday, there is nothing that prohibits them as members from holding office or earning non-rank recognitions."

While they may be members of the crew, they stopped being Venturers at 21. Hence its inappropriate to hold office.

The OA does not allow OA members to even run for any OA office if they will turn 21 during that term.

Venturing also does not allow any Venturer to apply for Regional or National Venturing offices if they will turn 21 during their term. By extension, this should also apply to district, council and area positions.

And I'm pretty sure that if you might turn 21 during the Jamboree, that you can't attend as staff.

More so then in scout troops, 21 is pretty much a clear dividing point between 'youth' and 'adult' in the BSA.

Again, while I understand that is what your opinion is, do you understand that the Venturing Leader Handbook says something different?

If they are a member then they have all the member priviledges unless the program specifically says otherwise.

The fact that they would not qualify for jamboree staff has no bearing as to whether or not they can hold a unit office.