A skit: Is It Time Yet?

I wonder how far back it really goes -- we were doing this in the early 70s!

BTW, my kids (ages 11 and 9) just saw the Melrose YouTube video of "The Pickpocket" and they think it's the funniest thing they've ever seen!

Actually, Steve, I'm rather impressed with the long-running "Laughs for Lunch" program that you run. It would seem like quite a breeding ground for learning how to ham it up a bit.

Please refresh my memory -- is it something you do as a fundraiser?

I recall a long time ago, maybe my first year in my troop, my rather young scoutmaster tried MCing a town-wide talent show (complete with bad jokes between acts) that went over pretty well. He only did it once, and I'm not sure why.

I guess you could call the Laughs For Lunch Show more of a service project. We ask people to bring an item of food for the local food shelf as admission to the show. It has been a great experience for the boys to get experience speaking and singing in front of a group. I have had several former troop members tell me this really helped them later in life.

Unfortunately, troop membership has been dwindling over the past several years. A couple weeks ago, during the yearly planning session, the PLC has decided the troop has gotten too small and did not schedule another show for January. So, after thirteen years the show comes to an end.

Unless we happen to get more boys joining and start it up again a couple years down the road.

Steve,

I always hate to see programs that have lasted so long die out. Any chance it could become a District activity? or maybe just invite some other troops to join in?

I know I enjoyed watching the videos on youtube, and they've reminded me of a lot of classic skits I had forgotten about.

Dan

Thanks Dan. That is one of the reasons I like to get these videos about skits and songs online. It reminds us adults about some of the fun we have seen, and it gives the current Scouts a chance to see skits that they could do during their own campfire programs.

As far as the district taking over the Laughs for Lunch Show? I doubt it would happen. I don't think anyone on the district is interested in taking on something like this. And no, I have no intention to do it either. It was fun on the troop level, and enough work on the troop level. Hopefully, someday, the troop will grow in membership again and the show can be started up one more time.