While I like your idea for trying to move the committee meeting I don't like, nor do we have, standing times for BORs. They are all Scout initiated and then the Advancement Chair sets them up.

Yah, acco, I agree with yeh. I much prefer units to set up BORs when lads need 'em rather than doin' the once-a-month thing. Just my service-minded prejudice I guess.

I think it's OK for units to do the once-a-month thing, though. Some boys get spoiled by havin' adults at their beck-and-call like hovering parents. It can be good for 'em to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them, and that they need to plan their work to fit in with other people's schedules, eh?

If you're havin' trouble with committee members bein' willing to give time, that can be one way to try to balance it is all.

Back to yard chores!

B

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did BORs every other Suday. It worked much better than having a billion of them the week before the COH (old system) or pulling them out of a troop meeting.

All a Scout had to do was say, "Hey GW, I need a BOR for X!" and one would be convened. It made it easy for my BOR sub-sub-committee to plan.

We'd also convene BORs at summer camp and on campouts.

Wow, many responses.

Well, we have many adults involved, infact, we have more adults registered than scouts.

We have BORs when scouts request them and do them in a formal controlled setting to give them meaning and so that the advancement chair and assistant can monitor. Also trying to teach the scouts some responsibility versus spoon fed.

At least our committee is really trying to get a boy-lead troop using the patrol method with adult "GUIDANCE". Funny part is scoutmaster is the one that will not delegate, has gotten better, but we still have problems with the SM and ASMs giving the older Life scouts a responsible role in the troop. Will have to address the committee meeting same time as troop meetings.

Anyway, my exiting comment is I don't understand the continuing resistance to giving access to ALL the rules and regulation in one place. Starts sounding sort of suspicious or that someone has something to hide.

Next recharter, since adults do sign that they will abide to the R&Rs, I plan to have them in presence. I'm sure someone has had to deal with an adult that is a Lawyer.

A few years back there was a rumor that one of the fast food restaurant chains was adding earthworms to the hamburgers.

Someone worked out that it cost more to rise a pound of earthworms than it does a pound of beef.

Why would the BSA want to keep anything secret?

What real purpose would it serve?

Some Councils might be guilty of not being as open as maybe the might or could be?

But I fail to see why the BSA would need to hide anything.

Eamonn.

Catalog no? They don't show up on ScoutStuff.org. Maybe they are in double secret catalog.

Found this

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=88293

So if you want to see the double secret rules and regulations, you need the permission of the Council Executive. Why? I agreed to abide by them but I can't follow them if I don't know what they are.

Oh, I see. The rules change too frequently and they don't want old copies floating around. Yeah, right.

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

Sorry Bob, I was given the document number.

emb021

"The BSA Rules and Regulations ARE in one place. The document is #57-492. The last version I have is dated July 2003.

You can get it and the BSA Charter and Bylaws (#57-491) for about $5 from National. There used to be an address you could request it from."

Can you help me find these. I searched www.scout.org and www.scoutstuff.org and could not find these to order.

Can someone lead me by the hand to right website and process for ordering these? I see Gold Winger gave me a thread to get the info, but it is not on the website?? and the thread is 3 years old and I'd rather confirm the ordering with someone.

Item numbers with a dash, as 57-492 are "bin" items. They are usually things like handouts and brochures you would find in the literature rack at the council office. In the case of the regulations, they would be so rarely requested I'd be very suprised if the council office even had any. The SE probably has a copy on his bookshelf but I doubt he's going to give it away.

Bin items are usually given away at no charge, though the council has to pay for them. I've tried to order bin items direct from the supply division and have usually been told they are sold only to the council and the minimum order is 25, or 50, or 100. To my knowledge bin items are never listed in the catalog nor Scoutstuff.org.

If you encounter resistance from the council about getting you a copy it's likely because they don't want to place a minimum order to give away one and have the rest gather dust for the next 10 years. There is no "secret" about them, but requests are so rare it is really surprising when someone asks. And likely as not what they really want is something else like the Troop Committee Guidebook, so don't be surprised if you get a lot of questions about what you want to know. They're only trying to help you. You really don't need them, which you will discover when you actually get a copy.

I understand the consternation about signing that we would abide by the Rules and Regulations of the BSA and so therefore we should be privy to what is written in them.

But before we the townspeople organize a torchlight parade down to Irving, how many of us know about scouters who had their BSA membership revoked because he/she did not follow the BSA Rules and Regulations? What did the person do and what was the response.

"They're only trying to help you. You really don't need them, which you will discover when you actually get a copy."

Hmmmm . . . it always worries me when someone says that I don't "need" to know something. Strange things grow in the dark.

" how many of us know about scouters who had their BSA membership revoked because he/she did not follow the BSA Rules and Regulations?"

Just like "1984," when that happens, all records are obliterated and no one mentions that person again.

"emb021

"The BSA Rules and Regulations ARE in one place. The document is #57-492. The last version I have is dated July 2003.

You can get it and the BSA Charter and Bylaws (#57-491) for about $5 from National. There used to be an address you could request it from."

Can you help me find these. I searched www.scout.org and www.scoutstuff.org and could not find these to order. "

I see you didn't bother to read my message.

As others have pointed out, items with a number of xx-xxx are bin literature items. YOU CAN NOT ORDER THESE FROM SCOUTSTUFF. Most bin literature items must be ordered thru your council office.

As I noted in my message, these 2 documents can be ordered from a separate address at National for about $5 total. I can't find that address at present, but I've ordered from it twice (the second time to get the 2003 editions).

Now, personally, I think National should make these 2 docs available thru National Supple like they did in the old days, but for whatever reason they don't. (all the orgs I'm a member of either provides every member with a membership booklet, including the orgs bylaws and such, or makes them available easily, say thru their website).