BSA policy on violent behavior scout to another troop?

I have a Boy Scout that has used a knife in a threatning manner toward some adults on a weekend family cub scouting activity. His parent was telling him he was not wrong and did not have to listen to anyone but her. We have banned the scout and parents from the troop and pack (they also have a cub scout) because the other cub parents are not comfortable with the boy being around their children, and the boy scout leaders feel the same. Now, they want to transfer to another troop, which I have no problem with because these are the boys that need scouting the most. The problem is, that we feel like the local council should have the boy evaluated before allowing him to enter another troop, and the local council says they cannot legally require this to happen without a police report being filed of the incident. I have made this as brief as possible and have only included the main points. Does anyone know if there are any kind of policies from national concerning this, or has anyone else experienced this before?

Thank you in advance

I have contacted them and they said the parents that attended would have to file a police report or legally they (the council and district )could do nothing. I was just wondering if anyone knew if this is national policy, or if there is really anything on the books about this type of situatition. I have looked at the national site and also searched the internet for anything on this subject and always come up empty handed. This happened just a few days ago, so I'm still just unsure of all that may be out there on this subject.

Thanks

I've talked with Scouters on the regional level who have said that they've revoked memberships for inappropriate behavior that did not involve police reports. I find your council/district's position to be a little bit hard to believe. They are a private membership organization that can set their own standards, and they can ban threatening behavior.

That said, it's not really your problem any longer. You've told the new Scoutmaster about it. He can decide what to do at the troop level. You've told the district/council about it. They can decide what to do at their level. What more do you want to do? If you're really concerned, file a police report.

Hi,

I know some people are not going to like this!!

But...

The Guide to Safe Scouting offers the following:

Youth Member Behavior Guidelines

The Boy Scouts of America is a values-based youth development organization that helps young people learn positive attributes of character, citizenship, and personal fitness. The BSA has the expectation that all participants in the Scouting program will relate to each other in accord with the principles embodied in the Scout Oath and Law.

One of the developmental tasks of childhood is to learn appropriate behavior. Children are not born with an innate sense of propriety and they need guidance and direction. The example set by positive adult role models is a powerful tool for shaping behavior and a tool that is stressed in Scouting.

Misbehavior by a single youth member in a Scouting unit may constitute a threat to the safety of the individual who misbehaves as well as to the safety of other unit members. Such misbehavior constitutes an unreasonable burden on a Scout unit and cannot be ignored.

Member Responsibilities

All members of the Boy Scouts of America are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the principles set forth in the Scout Oath and Law. Physical violence, hazing, bullying, theft, verbal insults, and drugs and alcohol have no place in the Scouting program and may result in the revocation of a Scout's membership in the unit.

If confronted by threats of violence or other forms of bullying from other youth members, Scouts should seek help from their unit leaders or parents.

Unit Responsibilities

Adult leaders of Scouting units are responsible for monitoring the behavior of youth members and interceding when necessary. Parents of youth members who misbehave should be informed and asked for assistance in dealing with it.

The BSA does not permit the use of corporal punishment by unit leaders when disciplining youth members.

The unit committee should review repetitive or serious incidents of misbehavior in consultation with the parents of the child to determine a course of corrective action including possible revocation of the youth's membership in the unit.

If problem behavior persists, units may revoke a Scout's membership in that unit. When a unit revokes a Scout's membership, it should promptly notify the council of the action.

The unit should inform the Scout executive about all incidents that result in a physical injury or involve allegations of sexual misconduct by a youth member with another youth member.

Like a lot of Guidelines, some of this is open to interpretation.

The way I'm reading it! Is...

Removing a member from a Unit can be done.

It is not something that is done without due cause and thought. (Reading: " Children are not born with an innate sense of propriety and they need guidance and direction." Would say to me that we should be in the business of helping to teach and show children, by example what is and what isn't acceptable.)

While the SE does need to be informed, I don't see any mention of what he might or could do.

Most often it seems to be that the BSA is happy to leave this up to the SE.

The SE should have the resources and people to find out the what, where, when, who and all that good stuff and be able to make a determination.

It is also worth remembering that the BSA doesn't "Own" the Unit.

One Chartering Organization might be happy to take on this Lad and could help maybe help him.

The Vision Statement states:

The Boy Scouts of America will prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Law.

A lot might depend on how you read the words "eligible youth"?

In the real world.

About 18 months back we had a case where a Sea Scout was woken up by another Sea Scout (Both males) who was touching him in a very inappropriate way. In fact he was trying to perform a sex act.

The Ship's Management Committee met and the Lad was removed from the Ship.

The Scout Executive was informed.

Both Sea Scouts were also members of the same Boy Scout Troop.

The Scoutmaster was informed.

The Troop Committee also decided it would be best if the Lad was removed from the Troop. (It was later found out that he had tried to do this sort of thing with other younger Scouts)

This past January the SM called me and said that the Lad wanted to rejoin the Troop, he was going to be 18 in May and wanted to complete his Eagle Scout rank!!

The SM called me as he thought I knew about these things , not as Skipper of the Sea Scout Ship.

By this time we had a new SE and a new DE.

I called the new SE, who knew nothing about what had happened.

He said it was up to the Troops Committee if they wanted to allow him to rejoin or not.

I explained this to the SM.

The Committee Chair then called me!!

I again explained it was a committee decision. She was a little worried as the father of this Lad was serving as a ASM for the Troop.

The Troop is chartered by our local Roman Catholic Church, I suggested that she call the Parish Priest and explain what was happening. Which she did. As you can imagine the PP really didn't want this Lad in a Troop chartered by the church.

Many of us did feel and still feel that the Lads BSA membership should have been revoked and maybe flagged in some way.

The Lad does turn 18 this month, but as things stand he could join another unit (Ship /Crew) as a youth member and maybe join a unit as some kind as Assistant Leader.

This is very worrisome and does concern me.

I'm all for us doing everything we can to help children and young people who maybe don't seem to fit the clean cut, angelic image of a Boy Scout. But it does seem that this Lad really does have a problem (There have been similar things at school.)

Much as I hate to say it. We do need SE's who are going to stand up for what is right and not try to pass the buck.

Eamonn.

goodscout,

As you have let the other unit know about the issues with the scout, they can choose to accept him or not to accept him as a member. They can factor the scouts behavior, the skills and abilities of the SM/ASM's to handle a scout like this, and the abilities of the other scouts.

I can see where a unit, or council, or national could not require an evaluation. That is pretty private and confidential.

Let's go through the checklist.

Did brandishing a knife in a threatening manner result in physical injury? Yes - call SE. No - not required to call SE.

This is a Pack & Troop problem to deal with. As Eamonn/G2SS stated, adult leaders of Scouting units are responsible for monitoring the behavior of youth members and interceding when necessary. Parents of youth members who misbehave should be informed and asked for assistance in dealing with it. If the behavior continues, the committee should get involved. Membership revocation is an option - something the unit may do. The Scout is not a member of the pack so the troop would need to act on his membership.