The Troop down the road

The Council I serve isn't very big. We have approx. 85 Boy Scout Troops.

Us being small and me being me! Does mean that I know almost if not all the Scoutmasters. Over the years our paths have crossed.

With the exception of maybe two or three, I like these guys. (As yet we don't have any female Scoutmasters.) They are hard working men, who make time to work with kids.

Form what I have observed they don't spent a lot of time trying to do things right or by the book, they just kinda do what they do and have been doing for a while or what the Troop has always done.

Over the past 20 years or so I have helped with training these good men. At these trainings we have had a lot of fun, enjoyed the fellowship and camaraderie which seems to just happen when a group of adult Scouter's get together.

I like to think I did use and stick to the training syllabus's provided by the BSA. I hope that I have done my best to set a good example for the people who I have trained and for others. Of course I'm not perfect and have my failings.

For the most part when anyone attended a training I was really happy that they were there. I didn't beat them over the head with a 2X4,if they weren't in full uniform or when they may have said that the Troop they served did things which maybe weren't 100% by the book.

Over time I came to accept that no matter how good the training or what sort of an example I set, these guys would return to the units they serve and in most cases nothing would change.

The Troops that cooked as Troops would still do so.

The Leader that arrived at training wearing blue jeans, wasn't going to rush out and buy Scout pants.

I kinda justified the time I spent away from my family and chores, presenting these training's by telling myself that maybe? Just maybe I had planted a seed.

As a District Commissioner I seen units that offered programs which were I a Scout? I knew I'd run a mile from.

I knew of CO's that had no interest in the units that they chartered. I know the Troops that are abusing the advancement method, not using the outdoor method and the list goes on.

Why didn't I do something?

To be honest part of it was I didn't want to rock the boat and part of it comes back to the fact that there really wasn't anything I could do. Other than offer friendly advise and maybe point people to where the resources were.

At some point I think I chose my battles, trying in my mind to do what I seen as being best for the Scouts in the unit and putting the "By the book" on a back burner.

Of the 85 or so Troops in the Council, I see differences in the way each Troop does things and presents the program to the youth.

Maybe this might be a good thing?

At least if a Lad doesn't like what one Troop is offering he can go down the road and sample what the Troop down the road has to offer.

If each and every unit was a clone of the Troop down the road? The Lad wouldn't have this choice.

I'm not in any way saying that having the book on the back burner is the way that we should go, but just maybe it isn't always a bad thing.

Eamonn.

Eamon-

I have to agree with what you said. I have trained most of the Scoutmasters in my district and there is a wide range in their levels of skill and also in commitment. Some are great and try to do things the right way. Some are not so great and sort of slide into doing things the way they have always done them. The one thing I always come back to in my thinking is "All Scouting is local". Unless you are willing to be the Unit Leader, all you can do is point the way.

Yah, dah life of a District or Council Commissioner, eh? ;) I'd recognize it anywhere!

I always think about it in two ways:

1) For this unit or this person, right now, what is da next step? Not a giant leap, not stayin' static. The next step.

2) For this unit or this person, what's the best thing I can plug 'em into to liven things up after they leave me. Another SM I can introduce him to? A training? A book? A suggestion for a joint event? An invitation to midnight campfire chatter at a site? Da OA guys who keep the data on statewide campin' ideas?

I reckon I feel about da same way as Eamonn does about the canned training. Not sure it really has any traction. Just too remote from where they're livin' their Scoutin' life.

Sometimes, if I prod a scouter to goin' to some training, I tip off da trainer to the issues in the unit so they can customize a bit. Don't know if that helps, but maybe.

Often, though, I've found da best trainin' is just campin' with someone for a night with kids, and introducin' a gentle thing or two by example.

Beavah