Happy new year

As a poor college student turned poor batchelor new home owner, I worked for a while as a bus driver for the local transit service. I would note what was left out on the curb and often come back to "shop". I have collected (all in working order) a clothes dryer, couch, color tv (yeah it was a tube set, but 24"), floor lamp, a plexi half globe 30" in diameter that I later learned was the navigators dome from a Martin Mariner (served as a sky lite on my porch), steamer trunk, book cases, camp trunk (with casters became a tool chest), reel to reel tape deck (wollensak), turn table deck, automotive floor jack, large camp tent (old Coleman, used it a few years), many aluminum tent poles, shovels, rakes, a spare tire and wheel for the truck I was driving right when I needed one, many, many books. And lots of "etc."

I used them until I couldn't any more (irrevocably broke or the new wife didn't like the decor) at which point the item was given to someone else, recycled, or put on the curb again for the next generation. (the tube RCA color set went to an electronic historian/hobbiest. The good tubes therein were literally irreplacable).

It's the American way.