Exactly what power does a Scout Master have in

Removing a boy from a unit. Our Scout master asked a boy to leave the unit, because of sever discipline problems. This boy broke several rules in the past and was verbally warned several times. Him and his parents were consulted and given fair warning. My question is can he remove a boy at his discretion or does he need to go through the committee.

If the committee chair was involved with the warnings given to the parents, and the parents were aware that revoking his membership was a consequence of future misbehavior, maybe.

The Scoutmaster in our troop has the ability to suspend/remove a Scout from an activity or meeting, but the Committee Chair and Chartered Rep make the decision to remove a boy from the roster.

From Guide to Safe Scouting:

"Adult leaders of Scouting units are responsible for monitoring the behavior of youth members and interceding when necessary. Parents of youth members who misbehave should be informed and asked for assistance in dealing with it.

The BSA does not permit the use of corporal punishment by unit leaders when disciplining youth members.

The unit committee should review repetitive or serious incidents of misbehavior in consultation with the parents of the child to determine a course of corrective action including possible revocation of the youth's membership in the unit.

If problem behavior persists, units may revoke a Scout's membership in that unit.

When a unit revokes a Scout's membership, it should promptly notify the council of the action."

"The unit committee should review repetitive or serious incidents of misbehavior in consultation with the parents of the child to determine a course of corrective action including possible revocation of the youth's membership in the unit."

This would indicate to me that it is the unit committees job to revoke youth memberships. However I would also recommend consulting with the COR (assuming they play any role in your program), or at the very least making sure they stay informed.

"The unit committee should review repetitive or serious incidents of misbehavior in consultation with the parents of the child to determine a course of corrective action including possible revocation of the youth's membership in the unit.

If problem behavior persists, units may revoke a Scout's membership in that unit"

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

For what it is worth? Here is my take on "What this means" and "Who does what"

The SM is "employed" to deliver the program, hopefully following the guidelines set down by the BSA.

He or She is not in charge of who can or can't join a unit. In fact the SM has plays no part in who can be a member or not.

He does not really have the authority remove a Scout from the unit.

This should only be done by the Committee.

I would hope that the COR would be in on the final decision, just in case there might be any repercussions that might fall onto the CO. Having the COR in the know, is a way of covering your tail!!

I feel sure that nearly all Troop Committees would be very sympathetic and would go with the SM!!

Really the SM doesn't have any "discretion"! Hiring and firing are not in his job description.

I don't have a copy of the Scoutmaster's Handbook at hand, but I think a quick read of this will help you a lot!

Eamonn.

Yah, You Can Make.... what's your position in this troop, eh? Are you the parent of the boy, another parent, a committee member, the CC?

We can only give our best advice if we give it to you, eh? So we need to know who you are and where you fit in.

In answer to your question, the practical reality is "yes". If a Scoutmaster is asking a boy to leave after several severe incidents, that's it, eh? What parent would insist that a boy stay on with a SM (and presumably ASM staff) who didn't want him there? What committee would overrule a Scoutmaster on that kind of safety and character decision? What Scoutmaster wouldn't resign immediately if they did so, knowing that he would be responsible for a boy's behavior that he couldn't control?

On a more procedural level, how each unit chooses to handle it is up to da unit, eh? Unlike adult applications, youth applications are approved just by the unit leader, so by extension one might say that the Scoutmaster also has the ability to remove. So some units may delegate removal decisions to the SM, especially for "safety" issues. Some may allow an "appeal" to the Committee, others may not. Some may reserve such decisions to the committee or the CC. I'd be careful about "whole committee" decisions like that in an "all-parent" committee - it sets up some parent vs. parent stuff that can be a problem.

Ultimately it's da COR's call I guess, but in da BSA setup they usually wouldn't get involved at that level, just in the appointment and removal of adults. So yeh need to notify the COR if you're planning on overriding the SM, since he/she will need to be looking for a new SM. :p Eamonn's got a good point as they're the ones that get named in the suit, so at least informing the CO is a good idea ;)

Beavah

You can make a difference, (probably)

The short answer is yes a Scoutmaster can reject a scout from the troop. This is not a happy event.

Here is one long answer...

Find the original copy of the Scouts application to join the troop. If there isnt a copy at hand in your troop, go to the Council office. The original form may be available there. (Every scout registrar in the country reading this just said Oh, my gahd.!!!!)

Who signed the form? The old form asked for the Signature of Scoutmaster. So, if the current Scoutmaster signed the form, it seems reasonable that the current Scoutmaster can un-sign the form. This sounds legalistic but it also is reasonable. If the Scoutmaster no longer feels the Scout is worthy to be a scout in this troop then the Scoutmaster can reject the Scout. The Scoutmaster wins. Very sad, but oh so true!

In the last year, or so, the new Boy Scout application requires a Signature of unit leader (or designee). This is more undefined than the old application so, good luck. The Scoutmaster just "lost" a major bit of "power."

If a Troop Committee is faced with a decision like this, then it could come down to a question of it is the Scoutmaster or it is the Scout. If the Scout in question happens to be the son of the Committee Chair or the Chartered Organization Rep, then the Scoutmaster may be on the losing team. Isnt politics fun?

Can the troop's Chaplain have a Heart-to-Heart discussion with this Scoutmaster and the Scout's family to find out what the heck is going on?

An intermediary may be helpful.

I would say a wise Scoutmaster would work through his Troop Committee on something like this. I would also say if the Committee failed to support the Scoutmaster he would be wise to become the former Scoutmaster.

Mr or Ms You can make a difference,

I agree with what Beavah and Eamonn said. They're both experienced Scouters who've been there, done it, and observed it.

If I were the SM here, I'd definitely be having long talks with my Committee Chair, as well as the Chartered Organization Representative and my friendly Unit Commissioner. I'd be looking at what the young man did and why. I'd have to wonder if direct parental supervision might help matters.

As Beavah said, beyond that depends on who you are in the Troop's business? An unregistered parent? AFAIC, no vote. A Scouter on the Committee? Bump it back to the CC, that's why he volunteers. An ASM, ditto.

I'd also be taking stock of other area Troops; there might be one where this young man is a better fit.

BTW, I'd make sure the family receives a complete set of records for the young man.

A few years ago the Patrol Leader's Counci and Troop Committee adopted the Discipline Plan that our Council/District encourages each unit to adopt.

Under this plan the following have certain responsiblities:

All Troop Leaders must set the example for the Scout Oath and Law

The Scoutmaster or an Assistant may do the following:

1. first offense issue a verbal warning without yelling or lecturing

2. second offense at same meeting have a Scoutmaster Conference

3. third offense at the same meeting call parents

the second time a scout is sent home the Scoutmaster will discuss the problems with the scout's parents

the third time he will be placed on probation and excluded from all activities for one month

if a scout is sent home a fourth time he and his parents will meet with the Troop Committee. A decision will be reached regarding if the scout should remain a member of the troop.

A Scoutmaster has the "power" to send a Scout home from an activity if his actions are detrimental to the unit. However, this is different that revoke his membership.

I'm in the camp that believes it is best for the committee to handle such matters but if committee members do not routinely go on the outings they should heavily weigh the SMs advice about problem behavior during outings.

• 1 year later...

WE have Webelos 2 scouts that are 9 years old... They were started a year early at determination of there Den Leader. Problem is there mom is now the Webelos 2 leader and fully intends on giving them there Arrow of Light.

Now considering the power of the Scoutmaster, does the Scoutmaster have the right to allow 9 year old scout enter Boy Scouts even though the rules state they must be 10 years old and have Arrow of Light...

We really don't want to turn these scouts away a year it could destroy there interest in scouting and getting boys in our area is =hard to come by...

Like does the Scoutmaster have to power to allow for this, like say even the COR agreed also to let them in, does council have any power to deny us from getting them??

I am just trying to find out on behalf on the troop if we could get into trouble for letting boys in who are "too young"...

YIS,

annom200

The Scoutmaster does not have the power to change BSA rules. As you point out the requirement for joining is 10 years old with AOL so I don't see how the boys can join before their birthdays. It would probably be a good idea to talk to your DE or commissioner to determine the best way to head off a train wreck.