New Ideas and New Outings

Yah, to get us off da uniform and back to the fun and practice of Scouting...

Share a new idea or a new outing that your boys have developed for their program this year! Program plannin' conferences, TLT and NYLT should all be wrapped up by now, and folks should be in the thick of things.

What's new and fresh from your guys this year?

As a favor, I'd ask we not critique, yell at, call others "wrong" or otherwise start kickin' up the sand over the new ideas and outings boys are coming up with. Just share, around the campfire, what seems fun and fresh in our programs.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

We have a had a boy earn the radio MB last year. It is the first time in anyones memory. This boys Dad is a serious HAM radio operator and has offered to counsel anyone in the Troop for this MB. We are going to set up an amateur radio station next month on our campout and participate in the Jamboree on the Air (JOTA).

Let''s see:

Chainsaw juggling

Enhanced potatoe cannons

Mumblety-peg for new Scouts (immediatly followed by First Aid for cuts)

How to take Tiger Scouts (with adult partners, of course) Whitewater Rafting on Class 3''s

Gasoline - the perfect fire starter

Canoeing lessons from Deliverance

Patrol Leader training in the use of nunchucks for patrol discipline

Just the usual. All while wearing the complete correct uniform, of course. :-)

Me: I''m sending in my registration for commissioners college tomorrow. This will be a new thing for me to try! I''m looking forward to meeting some new folks and learning new things.

Council: this is council camporee year (every 4 years) and this year''s is huge - expecting 10-15,000 people. There''s still room, if your pack/troop/crew/team/ship/post wants to come! Here''s the link - it promises to be big fun. http://www.gstcbsa.org/mis/

(and if you are coming, please PM me - first round of coffee''s on me)

District membership committee (which I''m on): we''re helping troops run "community open house" nights in each town in our district, complete with outdoor activities (think tents, lashings, klondike sleds and cobblers). Troops are excited - now we just need to get community members to attend.

My son''s troop: New SM this year, and he''s got lots of exciting ideas for strengthening patrols and leadership. Also the troop is working on planning for fun, upcoming activities including climbing- and aviation-themed camp outs. I''m excited for my son.

My son: having a great start to the school year, chose to run for PL again (and got elected) despite swearing he wouldn''t ever do that again after his first stint last year, really maturing and generally making me proud of what a fine young man he is becoming.

My son: having a great start to the school year, chose to run for PL again (and got elected) despite swearing he wouldn''''t ever do that again after his first stint last year, really maturing and generally making me proud of what a fine young man he is becoming.

[APPLAUSE]. Hey, that''s great, Lisa''bob! I remember all the challenges he had when he first took on the PL job. Amazin'' how they can "grow into it". Good for him!

Beavah

Merit badges are a new thing for us. I know, I know, many believe merit badges should not be included during Troop meetings. But, our guys have asked. Couple of weeks ago, they worked on pulp and paper merit badge. Much fun and mess in the making of paper.

Older Scouts have mentioned they want to do wilderness survival merit badge (are planning a trip for early Spring) and they found out that one of our parents works for our County''s emergency preparedness organization, so that''s being talked about too.

[Hey BrentAllen - don''t forget pallet races!]

Our guys are trying to design their own high adventure trip for the summer of 2008. The last 4 years we did Yellowstone-Grand Tetons National Park, Northern Tier, Florida Sea Base, and Philmont--each high adventure was progressively more expensive than the previous one. This year they wanted to do a less-expensive trip so that no Scout would be excluded due to cost. They also want to get in shape for a return to Philmont sometime soon.

Right now they think they want to do an extended bicycle high adventure trip, and they are looking into a 400-500 mile trek perhaps along the Underground Railroad bicycle trail from Cincinnati, OH to Erie, PA, or some part of the Northern Tier bicycle trail that runs from Bar Harbor, ME to Seattle, WA. They are also trying to plan several side trips to break up the pedaling along the way.