What's next in Scouting?

Great question, and an important decision, I think.

For myself, my second and youngest son earned Eagle and turned 18 this past spring. I am without a son in Scouting now, and have been pondering my role in the Troop.

I am the Troop''s advancement chair, and frankly, I feel I add a lot of value in that job, particularly in Boards of Review. I have asked to have a parent of a younger Scout assist me, and if one offers to help, I plan to turn the chairman''s job over, and offer to help out at BoRs.

I also counsel three MBs, and for two, Personal Management and Family Life, I also believe I have provided many Scouts with a good basis to start their adult lives. I can''t imagine giving that up.

Over the last couple of years, I have helped the District out as the unofficial "financial planner" of the District events. I assist the adults who take on running events like Klondike and Webelos Woods, and help them develop a budget, and generally act as a liason between volunteers who run events for the first time and the professional staff, who often have more responsiblity than allows them to work patiently with rookie event chairs.

As EagleDad talked about, our District Chairman, District Commisioner, and DE all seemed to have a note on their calender for when my son turned 18. I was accosted with requests to take over a couple different responsiblities. Unit Commisioner was the one area that I saw was desperately needing some help. We have units who don''t have a UC, UCs who have four and five units, and at least a couple of UCs who have no business being Unit Commisioners at all. So that is my current calling. I''ve been trained, and just assisted at my first Cub Round Up night since I was a Cubmaster. BTW, I agree that Cubmaster could well be the best job in Scouting.

As it came close to the time when I would no longer have a child in the program, I thought about what direction I would head. I was guided by the same question that caused me to say yes when I first filled out an adulr application - "If not me, then who?"

There are PLENTY of people, even right in my District, who know more about Scouting than I ever will. But I don''t believe anyone exceeds the passion I still have for this "game with a purpose", and because of that, I don''t expect I will ever not be busy on Tuesday nights... Or Wednesdays, or whatever night I am needed.

If you still have the passion you had when you were doing it just for your son, then please find a job you enjoy and do it. We need all the help we can get.

Mark

My unit has several scouters that have sons who have aged out.

Our Committee Chairman''s son aged out 2 years ago. During that time he was the Troop Treasurer.

Our previous Scoutmaster (who past away while holding the position) continued after his son aged out.

Our High Adventure Advisor son aged out many years ago. After his son aged out he served four years as Scoutmaster. One of the scouters who attends Boundary Waters with our scouts is in his mid 60''s. His son is not known to even some of the longest tenured scouters in our unit.

Our Popcorn Kernal''s son lost interest in the program shortly before he aged out.

All of these people enjoy what they are doing for the unit. They perform their position even past what could be expected.

However we also have a few scouters who don''t have son''s in the program.

Our New Scout Advisor/Membership Coordinator took the position after he aged out of the program. He earned his Eagle.

Our Chartered Organization Rep/Life To Eagle Coordinator does not have a son. He earned his Eagle pack in the mid 80''s.

Another one of our Assistant Scoutmasters is away at college.

A third Assistant Scoutmaster has been a member of the troop since his scouting youth. He is now in his mid 50''s.

Don''t get me wrong most of our positions (Scoutmaster,Treasurer, Secretary, Outdoors, Equipment, Newsletter, Website, Advancements, and regular committee members) all have sons in the program.

Some have past scouting experience. Some were active in their son''s Cub Scout packs. But sometimes it is those scouters that don''t have sons in the program anymore that perform their position''s the best.

Great question, and an important decision, I think.

For myself, my second and youngest son earned Eagle and turned 18 this past spring. I am without a son in Scouting now, and have been pondering my role in the Troop.

I am the Troop''s advancement chair, and frankly, I feel I add a lot of value in that job, particularly in Boards of Review. I have asked to have a parent of a younger Scout assist me, and if one offers to help, I plan to turn the chairman''s job over, and offer to help out at BoRs.

I also counsel three MBs, and for two, Personal Management and Family Life, I also believe I have provided many Scouts with a good basis to start their adult lives. I can''t imagine giving that up.

Over the last couple of years, I have helped the District out as the unofficial "financial planner" of the District events. I assist the adults who take on running events like Klondike and Webelos Woods, and help them develop a budget, and generally act as a liason between volunteers who run events for the first time and the professional staff, who often have more responsiblity than allows them to work patiently with rookie event chairs.

As EagleDad talked about, our District Chairman, District Commisioner, and DE all seemed to have a note on their calender for when my son turned 18. I was accosted with requests to take over a couple different responsiblities. Unit Commisioner was the one area that I saw was desperately needing some help. We have units who don''t have a UC, UCs who have four and five units, and at least a couple of UCs who have no business being Unit Commisioners at all. So that is my current calling. I''ve been trained, and just assisted at my first Cub Round Up night since I was a Cubmaster. BTW, I agree that Cubmaster could well be the best job in Scouting.

As it came close to the time when I would no longer have a child in the program, I thought about what direction I would head. I was guided by the same question that caused me to say yes when I first filled out an adulr application - "If not me, then who?"

There are PLENTY of people, even right in my District, who know more about Scouting than I ever will. But I don''t believe anyone exceeds the passion I still have for this "game with a purpose", and because of that, I don''t expect I will ever not be busy on Tuesday nights... Or Wednesdays, or whatever night I am needed.

If you still have the passion you had when you were doing it just for your son, then please find a job you enjoy and do it. We need all the help we can get.

Mark

While OJ only turned 19 this past July, I really haven''t played an active role in his "Scouting Career" since he crossed over from the pack.

He was on the Ship''s charter for a while but his heart was never really in it. In part due to him being so active in the OA.

I spent about ten years serving on the District, Council and Area level.

As District Commissioner and District Chairman most of the people I worked along side were people I selected or played a part in having selected. Most were about my age, but many had married young and their son''s were older than OJ, some only had girls!!

The guys on the Area Committee were all a lot older than me and many were very successful business men. (Read wealthy!!)

While I wouldn''t dare to judge others!! In my opinion -For what it''s worth!!

The people who work the hardest in Scouting are Den Leaders!!

Followed by people who serve at the Troop level.

Some Commissioners do go above and beyond, while some can never be found.

The people who served on the District Committee had specific jobs, some only needed to be around for a few months each year, while others were needed to serve year round.

Attending meetings just to attend is a waste of time!!

Many of the people who served on the Council Executive Board, seemed to have no knowledge of Scouting and only turned out for meetings every now and then. I think this was due to the Board being way too big and this was so in the hope that they would support the Council finances.

The guys on the Area Committee, did know their stuff and many served as active members of Council Executive Boards. The meetings were held quarterly. I was unhappy that the meetings always seemed to be so far from home, but the truth is that many of the members traveled twice as far as I did.

There are a number of ways of serving the BSA after your son is no longer active.

I was glad when my term as District Chair. Was over (We have a 3 year term limit.)

I enjoyed being District Commissioner, but still have a hard time eating chicken, which seemed to be on the menu for every B&G banquet!!

I really enjoyed being the Council Training Chair. I held that position when all the then new training''s came along.

Wood Badge Staff is a lot of fun, but does eat up a lot of time.

The big danger is that if you are not careful you end up attending meetings nearly every night of the week and spending a lot of time out of the house.

At one time Her Who Must Be Obeyed kept track and I was out Scouting 22 days in a month.

Whatever you do, be very careful that you don''t end up over doing it!!

Some people find that doing one thing and doing it well works best for them and for the Scouts.

We had one female leader who did a great job with Day Camp, that''s all she did for about six years.

HWMBO has been the chair for the Council Volunteer Recognition Dinner for a very long time (She missed last year.) That''s all she does and it seems that everyone is happy with what she does.

You need to think about how much time you want to spend?

Talk with your wife and try and have a meeting of the minds.

At times when HWMBO was upset with me she would throw "They are not even your kids!" At me and it hurt!!

Do you want to work in a program area? Or maybe help with finances or some sort of administrative post?

Do what makes you happy!!

There is lots of opportunities.

Ea.