AAD and PPXII Program Ideas

A question for the masses.

I would like ideas on how to make the AAD and PPXI programs more interesting for the Scouts. I would like to structure the programs so they don't come across as having to sit in another class, especially since the boys are in school all day as it is.

What does your DCCS and or Councils CCoS do to make the programs more interesting for the Scouts?

How do you tie in the great out doors?

If you run weekend retreats and camp-outs, what kind of activities do you have?

What kind of projects do you do that keep the Scouts motivated?

How do you make the classroom time exciting and interesting, not boring?

DO you use Diocesan events like Youth Congress and Youth Retreat to compliment your AAD and PPXII programs? If so, how?

Does your DCCS and or Council's CCoS have a website, and does it help?

What has worked at drawing more Scouts into your programs?

Thanks,

YIS

Eric P

DCCS Diocese Of Youngstown

CCoS Buckeye Council(This message has been edited by ASM915)(This message has been edited by ASM915)

AAD? PPXII?

Do you mean the Roman Catholic Religious Awards Program, which allows a Boy Scout to earn his purple square knot?

I will say this: From working God and Church and God and Life on the Protestant side, there are three things I'd do:

1) Operate gender-neutral. Bring in the young ladies in Girl Scouts going for their religious awards. Remember, your context is not Scouting, rather the parish and the community.

2) Cross-walk the confirmation curriculum your Pastor is using. I've found over the years that Confirmands generally get 90% of the religious award curriculum done in the context of their doing confirmation.

3) Within the God and Church program, I expect a young person to do five service hours in the worship life of his parish, five service hours of more general work (custodial, maintenance, pantry, clothing closet), and five service hours outside the parish. I also expect a youth to go outside his "worship comfort zone": Liturgical Lutheran has to go to a Pentecostal service, Pentecostal to a Catholic, any Christian to a Jewish Shabbat service. I expect the youth to be able to talk intelligently about the differences between his form of Christian worshp and the alternative worship.

HTH.

Go in His Peace, John