Is wearing a Scout uniform alwat appropriate?

So, what do you think? This weekend we are having a big 100 year of Scouting kick-off celebration. After the Kick-off there is a gun show which I plan to go to. At this point, uniform on or off? Also my son will be attending too.

Depends on several factors how hot is it going to be where the gun show is? How much of a discount will the dealer give you on that sweet new firearm if he knows you are a scout? My personal opinion I would wear my NRA or 2nd Amendment coalition T-shirt under my uniform shirt for the scout function while having my son wear his troop t-shirt or summer camp shirt under uniform. Leaving the scout event we would remove uniform shirts so as to not get mustard or catsup from the dogs or burgers for lunch on them. if the gun show was outside we would also zip the legs off the switchbacks. If I was to wear a uniform shirt I would wear the one I tricked out for summer camp with just shooting sports temp patch and NRA medal and my bright orange rangemaster hat.

BSA provides guidance in the Scoutmaster Handbook (among other publications) about when to wear and not wear the uniform:

"Do not wear the uniform in situations that might mistakenly imply an endorsement by the BSA of a product, service, political candidate, or philosophy."

"Do not wear the uniform while engaged in any activity that could dishonor or discredit the Boy Scouts of America, the uniform, or the person wearing it.

Hmmm, let me think. We have shotgun merit badge, we have rifle merit badge, we have shooting sports merit badge, we provide rifle ranges and skeet areas for the scouts on numerous occasions and so why would wearing a scout uniform to a gun show be a problem? If one were to be shopping at the sporting goods store looking at tents and sleeping bags, would one find it necessary to remove the uniform before heading into the hunting area?

I would refrain from consuming alcohol while in uniform and quite possibly the use of tobacco.

On the other hand if you were to indulge in large quantities of alcohol and then go the gun show and handle reload equipment and muzzleloading supplies while smoking, it could be a problem.

Stosh