NESA (National Eagle Scout Association) Local Chapter

hi,

i have been on here before asking questions about scouts. as a young scouter im still trying to find out some new things. I guess my next question is how can i set up a local NESA chapter in my community. I come from small town but the town im going to college at is a pretty good size town with 3 diffrent scout troops and one of the troops being a Latter Day Saints troop and at least in my area a lot of eagles come from the LDS troop alone. i figured it would be a good idea for us to form a NESA chapter mainly because of what i like to call troop seperation. from my scouting experence i have learned that on district campouts that the boys stay with just their troop and really dont go out of their way to meet new people. a few years ago i made it my goal to break this trend and to get scouts to be more active with other scouts outside of their own troop. I found a way through the OA to do this. When i became chapter cheif i made it my goal to motivate my chapter to do ceremonies again and even earn honor chapter and we did and now our chapter is very strong. and when we go camping all the OA member get together and hang out. but i hate it because we just talk about OA stuff and it keeps all the other none members out of the group. so i was thinking that the NESA chapter would be a great way to get people to come out of their shell as well as inspiring younger boys to become eagle. also this would give younger scouts the oppurtunity to ask other eagles questions about scouts and what being eagle means. so my question is how do i go about starting a chapter of NESA at my town? i would apperciate anyones advice. thank you

Lee Shelton,

Eagle Class of 2006

Assisant Scoutmaster

its me again....sorry to re-type another message. i just also wanted to state the fact that the nearest NESA chapter around here is a little over 100 miles away. its a 2 hour trip to there and its only held in town were the scout office is.

Your best bet is to talk to your District Executive. It's my understanding that NESA chapters are attached to the Council. Not sure if you can have more than one per council. About 10 years ago, I went to an "organizational meeting" of our local NESA chapter, and that's the last I heard about it. Something else I didn't realize, apparently to be eligible for NESA membership, one must also be a member in good standing of the BSA. I think that's a change since I joined.

www.nesa.org

(note- am not an eagle scout)

To add to what scoutldr said, AFAIK, NESA chapters are part of the local scout community. There are no (have never been) community-based NESA chapters.

ALSO (and I may be wrong on this) is that they no longer form NESA Chapters. Those that exist today were created back when they WERE creating them (a hold over from the days of Knights of Dunamis, the NESA forerunner). My understanding is that they (National) no longer allow new ones to be formed. Personally, I think that's wrong. In one council I work with, the NESA chapter has monthly luncheons, and is involved with the annual Eagle Banquet and Eagle Scholarship.