An inspirational Scout - Sean Brame

mms://video1.hmc.psu.edu/cmn/seanbramevideo.wmv

I don't know this boy personally, but my scouts and I met him briefly at Webelos Camp the summer of 2005. He had only had his operation a few months prior and was already swimming. We had the pleasure of working on the whittling chip with him. It was an inpiration to see him able to cut soap using only one hand. And his positive attitude all through camp week was amazing. Anyhow, since that time, I've been following his story on carepages.

http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=Brame&extrefid=tlcinvite'>http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=Brame&extrefid=tlcinvite

Last October, Sean testified before the Pennsylvania Health and Human Services Committee in support of HB 2718, a bill requiring insurance companies to cover prosthetic devices and components. The bill goes to committee this month.

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=310&z=3

Anyhow, here is Sean's speech. I'd say he's well on the way to earning the "Citizen in the Nation" merit badge (if he hasn't already)!

------------------------------

Sean's speech....

Good afternoon. My name is Sean Brame and I am a tri numeral amputee. Yes hidden underneath these fancy leg covers are two very expensive Titanium metal legs with even more expensive titanium feet. Underneath my shirt is a computer driven myo-electric arm and trust me you do not even want to begin to guess at how much that thing costs.. My mom tells me I am the Six Million Dollar Man. Just like Steve Austin, I was able to be rebuilt after an injury that cost me my limbs.

2 years ago, I was a normal 9 year old kid who was at a soccer practice. I fell when someone tripped me. I was told to shake it off and walk around. Later that evening, my foot began to really hurt. Mom and Dad took me to the doctors. My foot was X-rayed and we were told it was a bad sprain and to go home and rest it for a day or two.

Early the next morning, I developed compartment syndrome and SEPSIS. I was rushed to Harrisburg Hospital just down the street. The doctor in the ER could not help me so he called Life Lion from Hershey Medical Center.

On April 17, 2005, I was admitted to the PICU of the Penn State Childrens Hospital. I was a patient for over three months. I almost died. In fact, people say it is a miracle I lived through the first week let alone to be able to stand here with you today.

My recovery did not come without a price. In order to save my life, both of my legs had to be amputated below the knee. Doctors also amputated my right hand and 4 fingers from my left hand.

Fortunately, I have an orthopedic surgeon who stressed to my mothers insurance company the importance for me to have top of the line prosthetics. I am an athlete. I am a Boy Scout. I am an active Boy who wants to do Boy things.

I am very lucky to have the right prosthetics to help me achieve my goals, but you know what, there are people in this state and in other states who are not as lucky as me. Their insurance company tells them the type of and number of prosthetics they can get.

My prosthetic legs have allowed me to do many things such as: hike with my Cub Scout Pack and Boy Scout Troop; climb to the top of Diamond Hard volcano in Hawaii; play soccer with my teammates from the Harrisburg City Islanders and serve as water boy for the Red Land Patriots foot ball team by the way, I challenged the team that for every win they had on the football field, I would run 100 yards for them. well those turkeys won 13 games and I became an All American rusher with 1300 yards on my stat sheet. In fact, I am going to the Big 33 practices this summer to show them how I can run.

But you know what has me really scared. losing my mobility when I get older when I am no longer covered under my moms insurance. If the law is not changed, it is possible that I may not be able get my legs replaced when I break them. by the way, I broke my first pair of feet in 7 months (the company guarantees them for 18-24 months). The silicone protectors are supposed to last about 4- 6 months well mine seem to be lasting about 7 -8 weeks. See I told you I am an active kid.

Today, I am going to meet with members of the State House of Representatives and ask them to look hard at House Bill #317 Prosthetic Parity. This law will help amputees like me achieve their goals of mobility.

----------------------

Do a search on Sean Brame and you will find many articles about this young man and all he has achieved so far. (or visit his carepage http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=Brame&extrefid=tlcinvite)

(This message has been edited by CubScoutJo)