New adults to scouting have little clue to what scouting is about, and they need to have 'veterans' of scouting to help them along the way.

Yah, I like Redfeather's comment, eh?

We often recommend training, but BSA one-shot training is pretty short and pretty cursory. There are a few who have personalities that compel them to go read everything and try everything, but they're rare birds.

So I'm curious. For those of you who are good at it (Commishes, SM's, MC's, etc.), what do you do to "indoctrinate" adults in the Scouting Way? What have you found to be really successful at helping parents, new ASMs, or new SMs to develop their understanding and skills? What have you found doesn't work well?

Yah, and how 'bout for helping people stay "current" over time?

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

To me, the first best way is "around the camfire." Informal, quiet, reflective, fun. That's what I'm doing tonight, in fact. The Great American BBQ Contest is going on in Kansas City. 100 acres plus of BBQ competition. A very good friends' troop puts a team in every year of their best adult cooks. (There is a floor age to competing). We're going to have dinner and talk into the night.

The next best way is "at roundtable." As a RT staffer, I get to meet lots of first time Scouters. We get them to NLE, YP and MBC trainings (we hold those every month under the RT hat). We also get to talk with these folk during pre-opening and as they wander our District Committee activity mall (our district could be a 600 series council all by itself, we have 56 troops and 65 Packs).

Oh, here is a good place for those who happen upon it.

My thoughts...

Yum BBQ though KC style sauce is not my favorite. That yellow carolina sauce is better. You have us all awaiting your report on the BBQ. Almost makes me want to dig out my smoker but alas I must head out to the camp.

Training is very important but in most areas there is a need for people who are willing to be trainers. Call your district training chair and offer to help out. I got tired of sitting through trainings that were as boring as watching paint dry and put my time where my mouth was. More and more enthusiastic trainers help to get people to training.

We do a parents meeting for all the new parents. That gives them an intro, but it's by no means enough.

Around the campfire is the only real successful way that I've found works for me. Well, around the campfire, on the trail, in the woods, anywhere on the campout. And even at troop meetings - if the meetings are running smoothly, I may have some time to chat with parents. But the adults that are most important to receive the message are those that go on the campouts, and there's a lot of on-the-job training that goes on. I try hard not to book my time 100% at teaching stations or other activities, so that I can walk around and watch how the various adults and boys are doing.

And I try to have informal chats with all of my assistant leaders. Sometimes it's phone calls. Sometimes it is conversations after troop meetings. Sometimes I see them at church. And we do have a monthly SM/ASM meeting.

Oak Tree