There was a very brief article in this morning's paper about a 46 year old Scouter that was found dead in his tent at Broad Creek Scout Reservation (MD). Evidently, it was a training weekend and he had complained about not feeling well and retired to his tent about 9 pm the night before. The article did not mention the gentleman's name.

Having just turned 45, it got me thinking that that really is not a bad way to go - doing what you truly love, surrounded by God's beautiful creation, secluded in the coziness of my familiar tent, with the scent of campfire wafting in the air. Sounds very peaceful.

At the same time, there may well be a bride and children who needed him for a variety of roles. There are friends who were going to ask him for heart-heart advice today. My heart goes out to those un-mentioned.

I justs turned 47 about two weeks ago. Early this year a SM about my age died in his sleep. He was a great guy. A bit later one of Grand Canyon Councel's DEs died. He was close to my age too. Around February, a CM was killed in a car accident. He was about 36. Last month a District Commissioner was killed in a motorcycle accident. Scouting is starting to seem dangerous; I might need to change my avocation. Seriously, it is amazing the impact the death of someone actively involved in scouting can have beyond the circle of friends and family. Our efforts do touch a lot of people, more than we may realize.

Hearing of people my age dying tends to bring my own mortality into a clearer focus. I may not be here to hug my wife and children tomorrow and tell them I love them. The troop meeting I am attending may be the last time I'm able to see the scouts, parents, and scouters. What I say and do today may be the last memory of myself I give to another. It seems more important to try to ensure that that memory is a good one and that there are no hard feelings between us. I think I'll make sure my family knows how important they are to me tonight before bed.

My prayers are with this scouter, his family and others impacted by his death.

SWScouter